Backing up mac files to a win server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

telemachus

Solid State Member
I've had a dell poweredge server running for a few years now hooked up to my houses ethernet lan setup, it has windows small business server 2000 on it and I generally use it for backing up and storage from other pc's around the place.

I've been asked by a mac OS8 user (I really i know next to nothing about apple macs) to set things up whereby they can transfer files to and from the windows 2000 server for backup purposes. In short i'm just wondering if this is possible, and if so how. The windows server runs on an ntfs file system, and the Mac uses its standard HFS format. Getting an ethernet cable between them is no problem, I just have no idea how to get them to see eachother on the network, or wether mac files can survive on a windows formatted disk.

Any help would be really apreciated as i'm utterly lost in the mac OS.

Just go to your Active Directory, and make accounts just like you normally would for IBM, except check both Mac and IBM. Name it, assign privelages, and poof... you're there!

I can't give you any screenshots, because i don't have the software, but I've done it on the student server @ Scott City. Its fairly simple.

Also, before you get all ready to go.. go to the chooser and see if it will even see the name of the Server. Always good to do.

Jeeze, thats easy on the PC part, but the Mac may not be able to connect to that network so easily. Apple essentially added Windows file sharing over a network in OSX. OS8's windows network usability may be VERY limited, so dont try to expect miracles here.

Also, Mr. Dinkle, think your option is the best solution, though it may be the mac taht is the ultimate downfall here (Macs running, essentially, less than OS9.2.x are very outdated and might not be able to keep up with current windows hardware (I know this was the case for my school. We run old, crt imacs and had to buy xserves to replace our dell file servers becase ofvery loose compatability that often resulted in total network failure.)

Well, from the way I understand it. At my HS, we have old machines running, I want to say, 7.5 that I was taking to MAC OS 8.0. It read the Business server, which holds citrix, from both our IBM Lab upstairs, and anywhere else in the building, independant of Operating System installed.

The sad thing is, we're also using a network that the students wired. It still reads servers perfectly, a little slow though.

Another thing: Does the person want you to burn a copy from your server? If so, it could get a little messy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom