College Student Selling Computers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
4W4K3 said:
using the same CD-key for multiple installs of the OS is NOT illegal. My dad pays for Corporate Edition CD-Keys ones that DO NOT expire and we've used them maybe 20 times already.

Also, if you do need to activate Windows with a "used up" cd-key, just call there supprot line. I did this after installing new network cards and changin MAC address (triggers activation) and it was simple. they ask for old #, then they give you a new # after they authenticate the first one. if your original # is pirated, then this won't work of course...but if you have 1 valid key then they should give you a new one. worked for me :)

yes it IS ILLEGAL. Not what you just mentioned (well that depends) but previously with the home edtion copy was very illegal. I know all about the laws and corprate editions as I work for a large one and get ALL microsoft products here for our office.

When you purchase an Enterprise Agreement Corporate Edition CD it can ONLY be used at the site it was licensed for to be legal. If it leaves the building and installs on someones home PC that is illegal. Will it work? Yes any Corporate edition XP CD will not require activation and will never expire as you mentioned and can be installed on ANY pc, but not legally.

If this guy is selling PC's and advertising he WILL get taken down in a heart beat for selling illegal copies of XP and his life will be ruined. We have had to small PC comapnies here get closed down due to audits and illegal OS installs. One was fined up the millions.

Yes, it's hard to catch you for doing illegal stuff on your computers (p2p demonstrated this) but i think that the coustomers deserve the legal copy. Microsoft might have a bulk deal though. I know adobe products for like... 5,000 or something you can have an unlimited license.

For the system building - that's a great idea. If i were you i wouldn't spend money on like...ultra high quality stuff. go midrange or the cheap stuff. Most college students don't know the difference, unless you're from somewhere like stanford, where if you can afford the tutition, you've probably got a computer...

Win2kpatcher said:
If this guy is selling PC's and advertising he WILL get taken down in a heart beat for selling illegal copies of XP and his life will be ruined. We have had to small PC comapnies here get closed down due to audits and illegal OS installs. One was fined up the millions.

i see what you mean, that's what my father has told me as well. he pays for a M$ license every year and he gets keys to use for our home network. i use them, my sister uses them, my mom uses them, and he uses them...because we are all members of our home network.

i guess what you are saying is since he is selling copies out to anybody/everybody, then that makes it illegal when they leave his possession. makes sense. my situation is a bit different.

Well it really isnt making copies of it if you are just installing it on the persons PC before you give it to them. If you actually burned it on CD's and sold it that way, I would see a problem. But unless some stupid dumb ass rats out on him, no one is gonna know.

algu7344 said:
Well it really isnt making copies of it if you are just installing it on the persons PC before you give it to them. If you actually burned it on CD's and sold it that way, I would see a problem. But unless some stupid dumb ass rats out on him, no one is gonna know.

That is still illegal is the only point I am making. It is not about the physical media at all it is about the license/COA. Each PC must have a unique license unless you are in a corporate env. If he is trying to be legit and run a small business he must provide the user with the Windows XP CD and COA. You must understand this from a business perspective not a home user perspective the ball park changes signifcantly. It is much cheaper for a business to pay $300-500 a license then $250,000 for each illegal copy they sell when they get caught(At least when we got audited by Adobe this was there penalty).

Well he can do whatever he wants, if he gets caught (which I doubt it) then he pays for it. It is really up to him. I under the license, I am simply saying that if he is gonna make a business venture out of this, then yea he should do what is right, to really protect himself.

The point being is that you cannot use the same home license on multiple computers and then sell them. Corporate and Enterprise licenses are exempt from this as long as you leggally own it. That obviously is illegal. Contact Microsoft and they will clarify their End-User License Agreement to you. If you want to distribute free operating systems with your PC's install Knoppix or another linux distro on their hard disk.

We do not support warez, cracks, serialz, or any other illegal softwares on TF. This thread is closed.

ekÆsine
Tech Forums Super Moderator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom