boot sector virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADZ

Fully Optimized
hey guys...im stumped...

I have this HUGE 2 gig HD, and when I am trying to install 98 SE on the comp, it tells me it has a boot sector virus...I have wiped the drive by fdisking and formatting, i have also wiped it in windows. I ran a virus scan on it. I have done the norton system works on it and it tells me its all good.

I cannot install the OS on it, any ideas guys?

I have a couple of questions for you did you debug the drive? If not you could try that. Also you can try to fdisk the mbr(master boot record by adding the switch /mbr at the end of fdisk
just type in FDISK /MBR

But if you havent debugged you will have to do that. Debugging is the only way i know of to get rid of a boot sector virus just plain formatting and fdisk will not get rid of it. Tell me if you need the debug script.

Hi,,don't know if this will help,but you could always clear your cmos,and run through your fdisk and install again or take your battery out for about an hr. and try fdisk and install. :)

You could also try adding more than one partition and trapping the virus in a small section of the disk. I don't quite know how to do that but my brother did that with a drive. Then after he got 98 installed and antivirus, they were able to get rid of it....

Just a thought....

DAMMIT, i knew i shouldve MBR'd it!!!!!!ill give that a shot...cheers peeps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom