AMD Athlon XP or Intel P4??

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprtnbsblplya

Daemon Poster
Ok, so I'm building a Shuttle system for my use at school as I have a tiny desk and absolutely no room for a full size Lian Li or Thermaltake Athlon 64 system :(.
So, temperature issues aside, and I don't want to factor in overclocking as I probably won't be doing that, just don't have the time to screw with those settings, organic chemistry takes up way too much time...
Anyways, what is best for playing an occaisional game of Halo online, Doom 3 at lower settings, and sometimes editing an image in Photoshop, an Athlon XP or an Intel Pentium 4?
I'm looking for my best bang for the buck as I am in college with a very, very limited budget.

For your situation, probly a Athlon XP 2800+ would be perfect. AMD perform better than Intel in games, and are quite cheaper than Intel. An Intel would perform better in Photoshop but not by much, and since the AMD is so cheap, thats what i recommend.

Athlon XP's have a better bang for buck. if you're worried about heat, the mobile chip uses a lot less power therefore generates less heat. the mobiles are a bit more expensive, but apparently you can mod a normal XP to a mobile.

your best bet would be to get a 2600+ to 2800+

well i dont knwo if ur lookin for gaming performance hten go amd i game with an intel so i wundt know but with intel it runs fnie for me... look at below for my stats...

Yeah, apokalipse is right, bigtimeballerr50, your system looks sweet, but WAYYYY out of my budget, my new iBook G4 for schoolwork broke me last month, so the Windows box will have to take a severe budget cut.
I have heard that AMDs are best, I think that's what I'm gonna go with, probably the AMD Athlon XP mobile 2400+, sounds like it has good performance with low heat, which is what I want.

I also agree with the Xp. Yes they do run alot cooler. The 2800 would work great, and yes its not expensive at all. Plunty of people here have XP's. For gaming, that factor go's beyond your processor. You would need some type of moderate video card, for gaming and graphicial editing. I suggest a eVGA 6600 GT.

For video cards, its not expensive, and is the best for your money. Its 200$, that may be pushing it, but you wont regret.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom