Need help, two too much O/S !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copper

Baseband Member
Hello again !

I wonder if anyone can help me out here

I tried a clean install of WinXP Pro from Windows ME. This was my first attempt of doing such a thing, it appeared to have all went well,

But now when I start the PC it, during the boot it stops and gives me a countdown option to either Windows XP Professional or Windows ME.

I just assumed that Windows ME would have been deleted during the WinXP install, but obviously not !

When I do go into my PC , and have a look at my drives (I have a 40 gig hard drive) it shows -

C: 1.8 ghz (which I think is where ME is, as well as My docs and other stuff)
D: CD drive
E: DVD drive
F: 38 ghz (where I think XP is among more My Docs and other stuff)

Question is -

How can I get rid of Windows ME and have no partitions. I just want one 40ghz C: drive and no F:
With the PC booting straight into XP.

Hope I am making some sort of sense here !!

Any help would be much appreciated
Copper.

The screen you see at start up is the bootloaded, can you choose to boot into XP with the up/down arrows and successfully boot to XP?

If so you can use disk management inside the controll panel, select administrative tools, there you can delete the ME partition without formatting. Good luck.

delete Windows ME, (just delete C:\Windows - that's what ive done with 98) then repartition he drive so that the whole thing is one drive, then if ME still comes up on the boot list go to start, run then type "C:\boot.ini"
delete everything that shows ME so if you're only using Windows XP Pro it should look like this:

[boot loader]
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows="Microsoft Windows XP Proffessional" /fastdetect

- or you could just copy and paste from this ^

Ive got a backup copy of XP so i changed mine to look like this

[boot loader]
timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
C:\Backup="Backup of XP"

I just wanted to add to this the way to get that choice of OS message to go away apon booting into windows is to
Right click my computer.....goto properties.....than goto the advanced tab.....click settings under startup and recovery.... then you can uncheck "time to display list of operating systems"
this will get rid of the message at start but obviously the windows me partition will still be there

well you'd want to delete ME anyway:
1. Windows ME is glitchy
2. it takes up unnessecary space
3. Windows ME is glitchy
4. XP runs faster
5. Windows ME is glitchy
6. the hard drive actually gets slower if you have more stuff on it
7. Windows ME is glitchy
8. more programs run on XP
9. Windows ME is glitchy

just put all your docs and stuff onto F:, delete ME and repartition the whole drive to be C:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom