problem with built computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshj29

Beta member
Ok, I decided to build a computer for my mom, because hers is ancient. I went to NewEgg and bought all the parts I need, made sure they would go together, and waited. Finally the parts arrive, and I put everything together, I hit the power switch and the fans spin, the HD comes on, the CD drive comes in and out, but it goes no further. This was with a PCChips M811, which was bragged about being very easy on NewEgg forums. I then tested the ram, processor, video card, power supply is from another computer. All of these parts worked fine, so I play with it some more, then finally order a new motherboard. I put the processor in there and nothing, then I take an older processor from another computer, seat it, and it boots! I am very excited, I clear out of the bios, it tells me boot error, which of course there is no OS. Then it shuts off, and has the same problem as the first processor. The fans spin, the DH makes noise, but it will never boot. I then tested the new processor on another computer again, and now it won't work. Now the chances of both motherboards being bad are Nil, seeing as it actually booted for a second, but I am clueless. I have tried everything, and I know putting a computer together isn't rocket science, so if anyone could pull upon their experience to help me out, and give their input I would really appreciate it.

P.S. the second motherboard was an ASUS A7V8X-X

A long time ago I built a computer and forgot to include stand-offs when installing the mobo. I got lucky and nothing was fried, but it was shorted to the case and would boot sometimes, but not others. I tried what you did, replacing parts, having them tested, etc, but it was just me grounding and un-grounding the motherboard at random.

Long story short, make absolutley sure that the mobo is not shorted to the case.

I bench tested both motherboards to see if this was a problem. The ASUS board just spins the fans, and gives me no beeps or anything, Also the procesor which used to work stopped working, I am wondeirng if something is killing off my parts. I don't know what it could be though because the powersupply has been used on an older computer for some time, and is ATX. I am certain it isn't a grounding problem though, both motherboards won't boot outside of a case, on their box, will parts that have all been tested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom