Help with disk space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greencow_555

Baseband Member
Hi folks,

I have taken my hard drive from my old machine and put it into my new one. In the old machine it had to be clipped from 60gb to 30gb due to the old motherboard. When we tried to install the hard drive in the new machine it still only picks up 30gb. We've checked the pin things on the back hard drive and they all seem to be correct. Do we need to partition the drive somehow to get the full dsk space from it or is their something else?

Thanks in advance

Gaz

Are you running XP? If so go to diskmgmt.msc and see if you see any unallocated spave? If so, format it there....

What do you mean it has been clipped? You should do a reinstall because you have drivers from your old mobo mixed with your new one.

it might be something to do with the bios but I dont know how to set it up. I have totally formatted my hard drive and started afresh with the new machine but it's still clipping the drive from 60 down to 30gb?

Any ideas?

Gaz

If you have managed to get the important files from the drive (or are not bothered about losing them) I would get yourself into DOS / Command Prompt and hit the line:

format c:

*Change the "c" in to what ever the drive letter is in My Computer. You don't need to install XP on this as it is a secondary drive - but you knew that already. I would do this from boot (hitting F8 before 'Starting Windows..." appears) but you can probably do it from CMD in Windows by opening Run on your start menu and typing cmd.

I already did this but I did it as the last thing when I took it freom the old computer, would I need to fromat it in the new computer? and Im not sure what you mean by secondary drive... I only have one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom