a ? for u AMD guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix27

Beta member
Amd fx-55 ??

ok so i have a question that comes from pure ignorance so please bare with me.

Basicaly i am wondering what makes the amd fx -55 so good.
intel has a chip that operatse at 3.6 ghz from the factory and the fx-55 is at 2.4? so why in theory is this a better processor. It costs a hell of a lot more too... im just looking to learn here.. so dont be afraid to tell me all the details. thanks guys

Well, simply put...AMD utilizes the clock cycles more efficiently. Recently there was a thread regarding the FX-55 against a 4ghz Pentium. The FX-55 dominated the pentium...and they wondered how far it would need to go to compete with the AMD...they had to use subzero temps to cool the intel chip and OC'd it to 5.2GHz and only then did it finally compete with the FX-55.

AMD is able to do more instructions per clock cycle than Intel due to shorter thinner pipelines compared to longer fatter pipelines by intel.

Numbers now-a-days in terms of clockspeed, doesn't mean squat when comparing Intels and AMD's.

When you see an AMD processor like AMD64 4000+ that means it performs approx to that of a 4GHz Intel if not better.

The FX series are really powerful CPUs

Also the FX-55 is not clocked at 2.4, that would be the FX-53. The FX-55 is clocked at 2.6

And the FX-53 still can beat out all the intel's for gaming though :p

It's an instructions per clock cycle thing, intel sucks at it, as well as their laggy.

You have to wait for intel to release a new extreme edition for the 600 series though. The price of the higher-end 600's aren't as costly as the FX-55. I know someone who overclock an intel 3.6 ghz extreme to about 4.2ghz. It beat a lot of the benches of the fx-53's. But the extreme editions are meant to be more overclockable and they are priced much higher as is the fx series.

Oh...one more thing about this topic...AMDs are about 150% faster w/ their good architecture. So a 3.00 ghz AMD is about the same as a (multiply by 1.5) 4.5 Intel.
And the PowerPC architecture, it's about 200% faster than it's clock speed. So a 3.00 ghz aple is about equal to a 6.00 ghz intel and a 4 gig AMD.

I keep having to add stuff, don't I? Bear with me here...
The FX-55 is 2.6 gighertz, right...that's about equal to a 3.9 gighertz intel....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom