Completely Fried?

Status
Not open for further replies.

winder12

Beta member
I gave away my old computeraway a few months ago and it stopped working completely. It was returned to me as a project. The common thinking is that it got hit by lightning. I however, surmised that it was only the power supply. I switched it out and now have SOME power. It does not boot up. I have power to the CD and fan but the floppy doesn't show any signs of life and the HD only begins to fire up, but nothing happens. keyboard doesn't got through its routine either. When I power up I get three long, loud beeps and then it just sits there. Any ideas? Thanks.

The beeps are a code to tell you what is wrong, but the codes are different depending on the BIOS that your computer uses.

What is the computer (brand, model, model number)? And, if it is not a brand, what motherboard does it have?

Try removing battery from MOBO to reset the CMOS. Remove everything but the ram, processor, and vid card and see if system boots at all. If you don't get any beeps then it recognized the hardware and hopefully you can get a post screen.

It's a Dell Dimension XPS H266 running win 95. The symbol on the motherboard looks like "n6" or something. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom