Page File Size Question (XP Pro)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuDioFreaK39

Solid State Member
Ok, after looking at this article as I was scrolling through the [H]ard|Forum site I noticed that the paging file sizes of the used system were really big, at 2.50GB and 3.19GB. When I look at my system's current paging file size, it says it is at 327MB (when im playing a game it goes up to around 650-800MB). I am only running 54 processes, and the ones with the highest memory use are as follows:

firefox.exe @ 46,312K
SVCHOST.EXE @ 24,136K
mswmccds.exe @ 21,792K
mswmc.exe @ 15,246
gcasServ.exe @ 7,232K
-and the rest of my processes are under 10,000K

My question is: Will my computer have better performance if the page file size is higher? I currently have 1GB of DDR2 RAM @ 533MHz. My "Physical Memory (K)" chart under Task Manager currently says:

Total 1046620
Available 649684
System Cache 304944

Thats what I have it at but the page file size has never gone over 1GB even when I'm running intense applications

I would set the page file so that it doesn't change size. Let Windows worry about one less thing than always changing the page file.

put it on a second hard drive if you have it. then set the minium and max to 1.5

EricB said:
put it on a second hard drive if you have it. then set the minium and max to 1.5
would it be wise to find an old hd that is really small, say 3gb, if i only have 256 of ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom