AMD...Newcastle or Winchester

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddie Haskell

Baseband Member
I plan on buying an AMD CPU (either the 64 3200 or 3500) and the only difference I see in these aside from the Core name is the process: 0.13 Micron VS 90Nm. I don't really know what these mean but have read where the W process is superior to the N process.
Can someone shed some light on this

The winchester has a smaller core size than the newcastle. so it uses less voltage and it runs cooler.. cooler=better

That is really the only difference? One of these isn't better for multi tasking, gaming, photo editing or anything that dramatic?
The Winchester simply runs cooler, which is a GOOD thing and makes it a better choice...Thank you very much

the winchester is better. basically they are the same core in everyway including cache size and speed i think, BUT becuase the winchester is only 90nm it uses less voltage therefore stays cooler i think its in the region of 5-10C difference which is a big advantage when overclocking, so the winchesters will go faster than the newcastles, but they are both great cores, if ur not goin to overclock get teh newcastle but if u are the the winchester is the only way to go.

The newcastle is just slightly faster that you wont notice it. Better to get a whinchester though, a .05% peformance decrease vs a chip that will overclock nice.

Mind ya, my newcastle is 2.66GHZ and most people can barely get whinchesters to 2.6

ive never heard the newcasltes were faster where have u seen that? agreed the amount u can overclock varies from chip to chip but in general the winchesters do go further.

both cores have an architecture limit. so both of them can go to the same speeds. the amount of cooling and voltage mods is what gets you to the barrier. since most people who overclock dont even know what a voltage mod is, most dont get to the architecture limit.

the winchester runs cooler. thats the bottom line. you can still overclock the newcastle to the same speeds, but its gunna require more cooling than the winchester at same voltage and fsb.

Personally, i would just get a Newcastle. They are cheaper, and if your not going to OC. Then it dont make a differience. Even then, its not that much of differience. Winchesters arent anything to get excited about. Im just waiting for the sledgehammers and clawhammers.

I'm going with a winnie 3200+. Has the voltage advantage and overclocks very nicely even on stock cooling. 2.5GHz is enough for me, but like Nubius pointed out there are far better overclocks on air cooling as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom