Computer not booting up all the way

Status
Not open for further replies.

flgirl

In Runtime
When I start up one of my computers half the time it doesnt boot up all the way I want to say. It boots up to the desktop but there are no icons or the task bar. So then I hit ctl alt del and restart and then it will boot up but like I said it does this all the time. What could be causing this.

3200+ AMD Athlon XP processor
512 MB Ram
160 GB HD
Running windows xp home

windows xp home

There's your problem right there :p Naw, I'm kidding.

Have you cocked up an install? Enter safe mode and check what stuff is running. Specifically, head to regedit (start > run > regedit) and look for:

HKEY_* > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Run/RunOnce/RunService

It'll more than likely be there. If possible, go to add/remove programs and see if there's anything there that you don't need.

It all boils down to corruption of some kind, and the only option is to stop it running when the PC boots or to get rid of it.

I seriously can't see this being a malware problem either, but it's always possible.

When you hit ctrl alt delete, post your processes if you can. Do a print screen or which ever is easier.

Sure you can. Just open TM up, hit prtscrnsysrq and copy to word document or whatever you want to copy it too..

Can you save this file to your desktop? It creates copies of msconfig, regedit and the task manager. give it a try:

Utility Shortcuts

No you cant do screenies but I think I am going to reformat the system and start over.

I have the problem fix, I just did a recovery and didnt loose any of my files and the computer is working fine.
Thanks all for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom