New Hdd

Status
Not open for further replies.

DevilsChild

In Runtime
Hey, i just purchased a new WD 200gb 8mb 7200rpm IDE hard drive and dont know how to install it.

i drew a picture of my system right now, after trying every possible combonation i could think of e.g takeing out this ide cable and putting it there, none of them worked.

I would like to take out the old 2nd hard drive (Ultra ATA and put in my new one (IDE)

thanks for the help guys.

edit: oh and the thing coming off the floppy drive cable is a spare um connection thing, but it doesnt fit into my IDE HDD.

Just put the new one in where the second HDD was, put in the same IDE cable and molex. That should work fine.

Just tried it again, comes up with:

"Reboot and select proper Boot Device

or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

so what should i do?
could it have any thing to do with the molex cables from the psu, could i have them in wrong?

thanks.

um sorry i dont know how to do that, is it with the little pin thing at the back, and if so i only have one of them because my two old hard drives didnt have them when i had a look.

thanks

Update:

I got the computer to boot up without the error coming up, but i thought HDD were plug n play, if so then something is wrong because it is not showing up in my computer, but it is showing up in "Computer Management"

please help
thanks

After a quick search i learned how to partition and format, thanks alot everyone! i should have my new 200gb hard drive up in no time! (actually a while, this takes ages hehe)!

thanks!

Ah sorry but problem and didnt think i needed a new thread:

i have some movies on my old hard drive, the one i took out, and ive already formatted the new one and put heaps of stuff on it, so how do i stick the old one back in and get the files?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom