I recently built a comp...

Status
Not open for further replies.

number41

Beta member
I just built a computer for a friend of mine, we pushed the button to turn it on, it started up but then just shut off in a minute, we havnt installed an os yet but we can never get to it. So then we try pushing the button and nothing happens, sooner or later after a 100 oushes it will reandomly go on again, but then shut off in a minute. So the thing is , we want to know what could be the problem, we are pretty sure its not the power supply because when it shuts off randomly the light on the motherboard is still in tact. I think it is the mother board, but i just want to know what you guys think.

did you install the little pegs that are supposed to go inbetween the case and the motherboard. Sounds like the mobo is shorting out.

I recently had a similar problem.

Do you have speakers hooked up...reason I ask is because you should get a post boot report. I just built one and accidentally put a DIMM in the wrong slot (der :eek:). I was messing around with it forever and couldn't find the problem until I plugged in the speakers. Then I was able to hear it say that I had system failure do to CPU overclocking. Once I knew that I was able to realize that the DIMM was wrong. Switched it and it works great.

yeabut no os

Yes i did out the pegs on the case so it wouldnt stouch, but about the peakers, i dont have an os installed on, so would i still e able to hear it?

how many sticks of ram do you have? some dual channel mobos only boot (if you have only one stick) with the ram intalled in a certan slot

uhm take the connection for the power button off and use a screw driver to short the pins on the motherboard. Take it off as soon as it starts up. Sometimes(rarly though) its the switch on the case.

well i have 2 sticks, the y are kingston ddr 400, they are duel channell, which was my mistake because i bouaght a socket 754, which i assume is not compatible with duel channel. The thing about thescrewdrive, what does that mean to short the pins, does that mean take them out?

Yes i did out the pegs on the case so it wouldnt stouch, but about the peakers, i dont have an os installed on, so would i still e able to hear it?

Yes the speakers should still work. It will either give you a series of beeps that mean different issues (check your mobo manual) or it will actually tell you the problem. The mobo I had this issue on was an Asus and it gave a post boot report telling me the CPU was overclocking because the DIMM was in the wrong slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom