Built new computer; second SATA HDD not recognized...HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

consolemax_com

In Runtime
I just built a hnew computer and it has two Serial ATa (SATA) Hard Drives. I installed the drivers and then installed Windows XP SP2 Pro. For some reason Windows didn't catch my second Hard Drive.

How do I configure Windows XP to recognize it? They are both installed correctly as my BIOS detects them both in the beginning.

Also, I'm not sure if they are setup correctly, they give me options about Creating/Deleting Arrays, etc and I'm not sure how to configure them. I just set them both to 'boot'.

Thanks for the help in advance. I would like to put the other 250GB to good use!

If you set both to boot, the other must be hidden. in that is the case unhide it (partition magic will let's you do this). don't set it to active in comp managment as it will hide your first drive

LOL I was playing around with the setting in BIOS (a sub screne where it let's me manage my hard drives) and was messing around with the array settings. It looks like one was the 'source' and the other was a 'mirror'?

Anyways, I changed the format of the drives to 'SPAN'. The choices were:

RAID 0
RAID 1 (for security)
RAID SPAN (for capacity)

When I did this it restarted my computer and now it seems it whiped out my hard drive that was working and now I'll have to reinstall Windows XP?

Can someone confirm this?

Thanks!

yes you probably have. you should have left it on basic (no raid) in the first place

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom