Resore Linux Bootloader

Status
Not open for further replies.

m3trj

Fully Optimized
OK I'm about to reinstall Linux on my dual boot system which has Windows XP and Slackware 10.1 on it. At the moment I am using LILO, but I know that when I reinstall Windows it will overwrite the bootloader. How can I resotre LILO again afterwards?

Thanks in advance.

if your reinstalling linux its a non issue, LILO will be installed during the install process, windows must be installed first

Well yeah but I would like to leave Linux how it is and just install Windows. So I was wondering is there a way I can boot into Linux from a floppy or something to restore LILO?

Thanks.

well, original question was ambiguous, with a boot floppy with the right options if you can get it to boot into the original linux filesystem you'd just have to run lilo again

Ah right thank you. I read that I need to type "linux root=/dev/hda1" at the boot prompt, if I boot from the Slackware CD, where hda1 will be hda6 I think on my system. Will this boot Linux?

Thanks a lot.

it should, I think "root=/dev/hdxy" will work provided xy=linux filesystem partition on hard drive

matter of fact if it boots up ok, log in as root and just type pkgtool and run the LILO script again if youve got anything weird options wise like scsi emulation for a cdrom for example

Well I just tried what you said and it worked great. Thank you very much.

no problem, I try to help when I can, sometimes people round here post some really hard to answer questions LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom