200G Hard Drive Issue!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mashedpotato

Beta member
Hi all,

I have a 200gig SATA hard drive and I know windows XP has its issues with such large drives, but at the time (a few months back), it was a new formated NTSF 200g (and partitioned closest to that amount, prob 180g, ouch) and the system basically carked it and gave me a nice corrupted drive. So recently, I used the program 'killdisk' to fix it up like brand new again. BIOS reads it as 200g, all's well and good there untill it reaches windows xp which now only reads as unallocated (becuase not formatted) 128Gig. I realise it was a mistake to have such a large partition, and the only solution I've heard of is to Upgrade to Service pack 2 which i've done and it doesn't seem to make any difference. If anyone knows of anything, i'de love to hear from you.

Cheers

Jason

Im not 100% sure if it will work, but if you are running WIN XP PRO, not sure about Home but it might be in there too, and you may have to log in as User number one or admin to get this but im not sure, go into control panel, if theres admin tools in there, go to computer management in there, go to disk management, right click the drive, partition and format it. hope it works for ya

Thanx for you help delldude4100, but that's where the problem actually is. In the disk management section, it says 'unallocated 128g', so if i were to partition and format, it would be at 128g or less. There must be a way for win xp pro to read the drive as 200g again as it originally did. I heard there could be a fix/patch or something as well? has anyone heard of anything?

I had this same problem on my sisters computer. She has win xp pro but her 120gig Seagate drive either read unallocated or didn't read allocated. Well how useful is that? So anyway I found out that the motherboard had a limit of see 32 gigs. If you have win xp you can see past 137gig no proble in software but your problem might be hardware. I had to use an ATA PCI adapter to make it work. Hope that helps.

mashedpotato said:
Hi all,

I have a 200gig SATA hard drive and I know windows XP has its issues with such large drives, but at the time (a few months back), it was a new formated NTSF 200g (and partitioned closest to that amount, prob 180g, ouch) and the system basically carked it and gave me a nice corrupted drive. So recently, I used the program 'killdisk' to fix it up like brand new again. BIOS reads it as 200g, all's well and good there untill it reaches windows xp which now only reads as unallocated (becuase not formatted) 128Gig. I realise it was a mistake to have such a large partition, and the only solution I've heard of is to Upgrade to Service pack 2 which i've done and it doesn't seem to make any difference. If anyone knows of anything, i'de love to hear from you.

Cheers

Jason

Try right-clicking on the drive that is unllocated then format it from windows, in NTFS format.

FAT32 only goes to 32GB though unless you're using 98, so it won't be that
since installing SP2, XP will now regognise drives over 128GB, but it won't just instantly show up the full amount of space.
the drive was partitioned with 128GB, so you'll have to partition the rest of the free space, and merge it with the first partition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom