windows 98 computer problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolbreeze

Beta member
I turn my computer on the other day but it seemed locked up and the color on the screen was messed up in areas so I rebooted the computer. When I rebooted my computer made three beeps and seemed as if it was restarting but the monitor would never change from sleep mode to the on mode it just stayed blank.

What would this problem be?????

could it be the video card?

or

could it be a virus?

Sounds like the video card to me. 3 beep is usally the video card. Is it onboard video or do you have a PCI/AGP card? If you have a PCI/AGP try reseating into the slot, sometimes they come loose.

ok thanks I do have an PCI/AGP video card. If that doesn't work then I would assume that I need a new one?

You don't have a spare you can throw in just to test? Check your motherboard manual for post beeps just to be 100% sure that 3 beeps on your mobo is video.

Well, try and borrow one from a friend or ask the IT department at your work if you have one. If worse comes to worse just buy a cheap PCI card

hey I just took the card out and reinstalled it and the computer is now working!

Thanks for your tech help

you mean you remounted it? Like I said, they tend to come loose, I forget what the term is *tries to remember back to the A+ days*... not condinsation but c... never mind i'm hurting my brain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom