CPU Kills during OS installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

noserub

Beta member
I have a QDI board that I'm running with a 2.4GHz P4...It's dual DDR 400, but I'm running 512MB of DDR 266. I'm trying to install W2K and during the beginning where it starts the setup utility after it loads some items from the CD kills all power to the system and turns off! The BIOS recognizes all devices. Does anyone know if the Dual DDR 400 boards are backwards compatible w/ 266 and if that would even be a problem? I'm stumped...and don't know what to do short of taking the board back. I've tried it with 3 hard drives and my main drive is a brand new Maxtor 120GB. Any help is appreciated...

have you tried a different CDROM drive? just a thought...

I've never seen that one before! Sounds like a shorting condition to me, maybe when the cdrom drive kicks up to speed and vibrates the rig?

Problem Solved.

Hey thanks for the replies...

It turns out it was a thermal issue. I broke the heat sink clamp and there was uneven pressure on the CPU, causing it to overheat and shut the system down after about 2-3 minutes or so. I installed a new heatsink and everything works like clockwork.

Thanks again!

how do you break the heatsink clamp? that sucker is made of metal, you must be strong!....or it was poorly made. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom