IDE devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ermac936

Baseband Member
I'm kind of new to computer hardware. I understand that motherboards support up to 4 IDE devices being primary and secondary master and slave. I was wondering how people have 6 hard drives or 6 DVD drives. I know with hard drivs you can have a RAID or SCSI set up but I don't know how to do that. As far as 6 DVD drives how would you go about doing that? As in what motherboard property should I be looking for if I'm making a computer specifically for that.

seria is right so u can have upto how ever many cards u can get fit in pci slots. ive also heard sumthing about some motherboard supporting IDE cables that can have 3 drives attached but i havent seen any so i cant say for definate. also there are newer drives that use the SATA interface, and i have 8 on my motherboard and using 2 for HDDS so theres another 6 easy enough.

seria - would I sacrifice speed or anything like that? If I use the PCI slots for additional DVD drives I want the same transfer rate or faster, along with same speed in read/write as they would be if they were in the IDE slot.

aj - if my mobo supported up to 8 SATA devices could I do 2 HD, and 6 DVD drives with any problems? Again with 8 would I sacrifice speed in the same way as mentioned above?

if you used a pci ide or sata card, your drives will either run as fast or faster depending on your setup (raid etc)

waynejkruse10 said:
if you used a pci ide or sata card, your drives will either run as fast or faster depending on your setup (raid etc)
yeah... what he said...

Ermac936 said:
aj - if my mobo supported up to 8 SATA devices could I do 2 HD, and 6 DVD drives with any problems? Again with 8 would I sacrifice speed in the same way as mentioned above?
I doubt you will have trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom