Xp usb 2.0. problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

pisc99

Beta member
Hello, i have a problem

When I connetct a USB device on my mother borad (memory stick or digital camera) it is not even found,

it is interesting that i dont have that problems whit mouse and printer

the usb port works fine and i have the latest drivers and updates.
when i go to device maneger, it says that i have an anknown device, but i can't do anything whit that
I have ASUS P4S8X motherboard,

thanks
P.S.
my english is a bit rusty, so don't smile if i had writen something wrong
:D :D

Sounds like you need to install the drivers for the device. If it did not come with a CD check out the manufacturers web site.

yes but USB memory stick does not have the drivers, it must be found automaticly,
thats the problem, devices without installed drivers are not found

But plug and play devices don't have drivers, or i'm wrong.
The USB memory stick is found on other compiuters but not on my.

Thanks

pisc99 said:
yes but USB memory stick does not have the drivers, it must be found automaticly,
thats the problem, devices without installed drivers are not found

But plug and play devices don't have drivers, or i'm wrong.
The USB memory stick is found on other compiuters but not on my.

Thanks

Are the PnP devices that work on your system the same OS in which they work on from the system they do work on?

Also, every device whether PnP or not have drivers, they might not come with the OS and have a disk you need from the manufacturer to install them from. However I'm not to sure how the USB memory sticks work yet, haven't had time to read much on them so unsure.

You can probably check out google and look for flash drivers or something... i think those would be good, i have a problem of every time i turn my pc off then back on, my wireless dsl adapter can't locate drivers for it, but i unplug it from the back and plug it back in, and wala!

i think it is drivers

even if it is "plug and play" you would usually find more drivers for it on the internet, maybe you shoul download some. when it asks you "search for drivers automatically" just go through that (then it would usually say "cannot find new drivers") then click on "have disk" and tell it where you downloaded the drivers.

thanks,very much for hepl, I'll try to find the drivers,
but the thing that bug's me is that works on my friends comp, who has the same windows and the same bios setting,

pisc99 said:
thanks,very much for hepl, I'll try to find the drivers,
but the thing that bug's me is that works on my friends comp, who has the same windows and the same bios setting,

You just got me thinking, it might not be the drivers for the device but the USB 2.0 Drivers which are not installed. Does other USB devices work when you plug them in??

Make sure your Windows XP has Service Pack 1 installed. Many USB2 fixes were applied to SP1. Even if the USB2 device shows up in the device manager your problem may be due to lack of SP1 being installed. The usual symptom if the driver is installed properly would lockups of the USB2 device during USB2 activity. If the device is not showing up at all then you may want to try removing the USB2 driver and allowing it to reinstall. This may be necessary ever after SP1 is installed in my experience. Most motherboards do not have seperate USB2 drivers for Win XP.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom