Dual GPU's via the nVidia nForce4 SLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

synergy

Fully Optimized
I am interested in getting an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe w/ the NVIDIA nForce4 SLI chipset . The reason this motherboard seems so great is the ability to run two graphics cards in it. My question is this:

Would it be better to run two lower end cards such as the Geforce 6200 w/ 256 MB DDR, or one higher end card such as the Geforce 6800 w/ 256 MB DDR? I would, in theory, have twice as much memory w/ two lower end cards but not the speed as a higher end card. Both cards are PCI-E x16.

Let me know what you think

I may not be correct, but i personally think that a higher end card will perform better at higher resolutions. Also even if you have more memory, without the speed you would not be able to really put much use to it, its like a g-force fx 5200 256mb vs a fx 5900 128mb, even though the 5200 has more memory the 5900 would still beat it because of the speed.

I'm pretty sure that one 6800 GT will outperform two 6600 GTs in SLI, so I'd say the one 6800 GT would be your better choice.

SLI is really unnecessary when you consider how well the one 6800 GT performs in high demanding games at pretty high settings.

the 6800gt would absoluotly kick the crap outta 2 6200's id say just a 6800gt but i really dont care for sli because soon theyll have a card thats better than 2 6800 ultra's and upgrading sli setups seems sucky to me

6200's arent even meant for heavy graphics processng so getting two of those would be a waste.

If you can't afford two 6800GT's I'd suggest two 6600GT's

I'd have to look for benches regarding a single 6800GT incomparison to a 6600GT, but you could always get a single 6800GT right now and add another one down the road.

ive read that 1 6800gt performs approx the same as 2 SLIed 6600gts so really wat u get comes down to wat u can afford. if u can afford to get the 6800gt get that then u can upgrade later and either get another 1 or get a totally new card OR u if u have less cash get 1 6600gt and maybes another later. Its all down to money really

personally i dont think SLI will last very long cos its too expensive for the performance increase u get but if thats what ppl wanna spend their money on whose got the right to tell them otherwise.

the 6200 isnt meant for gaming really same as the x300 the 5200 or the 9200, so gettin 2 6200s would be a waste ur much better off gettin one 6600gt if thats wat u can afford.

Good suggestions....thanks. These are what I was leaning toward. It does seem pretty expensive to keep up two graphics cards. Does this mean that this motherboard is a waste of money too?

no the boards are actually quite a good idea i think, wish i got one now, for a small extra bit of cash u get the extra upgrade option. u dont have to use sli but uve got the option

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom