Need help findin a good Socket 478 P-4 !

Status
Not open for further replies.

aspire

The Water Cooling Guru
I'm gonna be upgrading my cpu this summer but i want to keep my old motherboard which is ABIT's IS7-E2 for the socket 478 P-4 processor. My budget is about $300 let me know what you guys can find.

I would save some cash and buy the P4 3.0Eghz, 800mb FSB, 1MB L2 cache. Its about $180 on newegg.com and it'll fly when paired with a nice 1gb ram. I don't think spending all the extra cash for the 3.2 or 3.4ghz chips are really worth it in the end. This 3.0ghz supports HT (hyper threading) which just flies on apps and games i have used it on.

What kind of ram would you recomend? Also if anyones interested I have a 256m stick of pc3200 ram that I'll sell for $30
Had it in my system for about a month. No damage no overclock not even run any games on it. Just selling cause all my comps are running 2700 and i have no use for it.

Well i'm not familiar with your mobo, but if it will support DDR400 ram then I'd recommend 1gb corsair value select ram. Runs all of my games and apps just fine. About $135 on newegg so thats still below your $300 budget for both processor and ram.

mmm. I dont know, I heard about corsair as being a good brand but how well does their value ram overclock? And by the way the $300 was for just processor. Lifegaurding pays well.

LOL. Well if your going to OC, I'd say go ahead and spend about double and get the Corsair XMS series. You won't be disappointed. They have heat spreaders and are rather easy to OC. Those XMS are pretty close to top of the line for gamers and demanding apps users.

BTW, that 3ghz P4 is rather easy to OC but I haven't tried it yet simply because its fast enough with HT enabled for everything I need to do. Look in your MOBO manual and see if it supports DDR400.

Personally if i were you, i would run and get a 3.4ghz Prescott. My friend has the socket 478 3.0ghz Prescott, and my other friend has the 478 3.2ghz Prescott. With socket 478, you dont want anything under 3.2ghz. But you have 300$, you can be picky.

It would be fairly simple to get that 3.4ghz running at 3.7ghz. After that, i would imagine some type of cooling system would help. Every OC review i have read, or people i have talket to. Can hit 3.8ghz with a moderate cooling system fairly easy.

So i would get that 3.4ghz prescott, and save the RAM for another day. Becasue you can get 300mhz from that cpu with normal RAM. That should be a good enough increase intil you can afford some serious OC RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom