router into a router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

telemachus

Solid State Member
Hi, I bought a wireless router recently and own a single port router/adsl modem, am I able to run the adsl modem/router into the wireless router or will the two router interfe? Otherwise it just means buying another adsl modem. I thing someone once said that dhcp could be disabled on a router turning it into a normal switch of sorts, is this possible and if so is it common to all router? Thanks for any help anyways.

that single port is not a router it is just a connection to a computer network card or to the uplink of a hub/ switch/ or in your case your router. what you have is simply a modem i beleive

to be a router/ switch/ hub it would take at least 2 ports because you cannot connect 2 computers with that single port, aside from using an ICS setup with 2 network cards.

consult your router manual it will tell you how to hook up your modem to the wireless router. basically here's how its done:

connect a straight through CAT network cable between your modem and the uplink/WAN connection on the wireless router.

with the modem connected to your DSL/ cable internet service that will enable the router to share the internet connection among all your connected devices (computers).

after you install wireless network cards in your machines and install drivers they will be able to wirelessly connect to the wireless router.

those machines will then be able to share the internet connection and be able to share files on the network. if using windows there will be a network setup wizard in the control panel. or click start>> help and search for how to set up a home network.

your friend is giving you bad information or you did not understand him clearly. you do not have to turn off dhcp server functions in the router to be able to use it as a switch provided it has a built in switch. it is recommended you do not turn off DHCP funtions unless you know how to set up static IP addresses.

the recent wireless routers out their today usually are access points and have built in 4 port switch. what that means is that they are a broadband modem as well as wireless and/ or wired switches all-in-one box.

1) please list the name and model number of your wireless router and i will try to help you with your specific router. you can find the number on the front or back of the router or the packaging it was in when you bought it.

2) also please list the name and model number of the modem so i can tell you how to hook it up to the router

Hi, thanks a lot for you're exhaustive answer, much apreciated. It is definitely a wireless router though, and i'm certain it doesn't include an adsl modem. It's a netgear wireless prosafe fm114p http://www.netgear.com/products/details/FM114P.asp .

I can't actually find a link to the adsl modem makers homepage, it's a cheap generic one off ebay, there's another one on it now with some details here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3050358905&category=3706

i agree the one router port is weird, I assumed it was simply so one could hook the modem up to a switch, whereas you couldnt if it outputted with no router, anyway thanks for all your help so far.

oh single port modem router... i understand now. not a very common modem! too bad it only has one port.

that router is nice! firewall and print server which means it is more secure than most routers and you should be able to just plug a printer directly into one of the ports on the router.

you would be able to use the printer without connecting it to a computer. so anyone on the network can use the printer as long as it's turned on.

here's what to do:

connect a network cable between the modem's single port to the "WAN" port on the wireless router. connect each computer to ports 1 to 4. if their is an uplink port that is usually for daisy-chain connect more routers/ hubs/ switches to that wireless router so you can have more ports for connecting devices.

if using wireless cards there is a high number of devices(computer) that can connect to the wireless router and simutaneously share the internet connection as long as they are close to it and nothing interferes with the signal like thick walls or radio interference

everything should be automatic. you can run the windows network setup wizard if it isn't working

there should be more details on the manufacturer's website or the manual.

just ask us for more help here if you can't get it working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom