Why svchost.exe eats all processor time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try downloading microsoft anti-spyware utility. Run a full system scan.

I run a full system scan every night :) And I just reformatted 2 days ago. I had too, I had tried that x64 bit Windows O/S, but discovered it wasn't compatible with my Palm software which I HAVE to have to function. So I took the opportunity to reformat on my smallest hard drive. I prefer having my O/S on my smallest ones. That way if I get a virus, I can shut down the smallest one and avoid losing my back ups. http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44286

How many startup items do you have? If you have a lot, go to start, run, type msconfig, go to startup, disable all except antivirus and firewall if you have one. See if this makes any difference.

If I do that, I tend to accidently delete something I truly need so I've learned to leave well enough alone after trying THAT trick about 8 times in the past. But I do go and use the *always hide* feature so I don't have to LOOK at the danged things in my Start up bar*, LOL. Liz

geffin said:
svchost.exe is almost like a chemical that the computer needs to process applications and system services. In xp it is normal for the svchost to sap up to 15,000k if it is sapping more, and it reads as all caps: SVCHOST.EXE, then you have a virus, a network virus that will infect anything on the lan.

when i boot up i check my background aps and shut them down to 18 at 90meg usage sometimes it will show the svc hosts as caps along with a few others but then again it will revert back to normal and also i have an lsvchosts pop up in there what is that do i need it cause ive shut it down and my sys still runs fine any help thanx philo....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom