processors...

Status
Not open for further replies.

panocho

Beta member
Well, this is quite basic, but...
I am trying to learn a little about the different options for processors (for laptops). I've been doing some research, but still don't know...
My main concern is how to judge the different speeds. For example, a Pentium M centrino at 1.7 ghz, how does it stand in comparison with a Pentium 4 at 3.3ghz?
I assume that you cannot rely on speeds, since other factors are also really decisive for the eficiency and actual speed of the processor (in this sense, a centrino at 1.7 ghz seems to be quite fast, right?). So, how to know what is best?!
I would appreciate some help on this

This may be a basic question but really an important one.

I think you may be looking for benchmarks of the CPUs you
are intersted in. Comparing 2 or more CPUs and how they
compare when running the same program(or doing the same
work).

You judge CPUs on how well they perform the work that
certain applications require(speed , accuraccy, quality,
minimal errors, hopefully none on the errors) etc.

The applications(software programs)may be business, or
audio(burning, streaming, extracting), or Gaming etc.

There is lots on the net on benchmark results. I would
simply google your particular CPU and its benchmark
results ie: "Centrino 1.7 benchmarks"

Hope this helps....

this is a huge topic tbh, and its late so il only put a small bit

AMD: have the mobile xp cpus at 2400, 2500 and 2600 (maybes 3000 not sure) anyhow these are socket A like the other xps. they use a lower v core so use less power ideal for laptops. there are the newer mobile 64s comin around now, i beleive they are 754 chips and use the lower v core like the xp versions

Intel: being intel there is lots and lots of marketing crap, there is no such thing as a centrino chip it is simply a mobile pentium or mobile celeron. they both use lower v cores so save energy and are both slower, around 1.3-2.0gig BUT they are helped alot by havin alot of L2 cache around 2mb on sum of them. they are not as fast as the faster cpus but are good at wat they do. u can get a normal p4 in laptops ive seen afew 2.8s or 3.0 gigs in them but these use alot more power and therefore use more battery.

hope that helps

The centrino's are dorthan core and have AMD style artetchture unlike the normal p4's though.

I would personally go for a mobile Athlon XP or Athlon 64, they are fast CPU's yet they don't consume a lot of power

the mobile Athlon 64's are only in socket 754 though. I want to see a mobile socket 939.

I want to see a mobile socket 939.
Ditto, and by the time I upgrade they should have dual cores out for mobiles too. AMD website said dual cores will be for server CPUs, then desktop, then mobile. So in that time I want to see the mobile go socket 939 and go dual core. Those will be some sweet OC'ers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom