World Jump Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
apokalipse said:
I very much doubt it would do much, but it can't really hurt (unless you fall over or something)
Can I sue them if I do get hurt. :D

Why do you guys take life so seriously? Lighten up

This is very possilbe if it is timed well. When the tsunami occured, the shift of mass and the massive release of energy very slightly altered the Earth's rotation. So if 600 000 000 people jumped at the exact same time there is a possibility that a change in the Earth's rotation could occur.

Man I dont wanna go searchin through those sites. Link us to the articles, so I can blast them.

...*sigh*...

I probably shouldn't have spent time with this in the first place, since it's total bs either way, but here we go:

The total mass of 600-million humans (considering an average human weight of 200 pounds) is: 120,000,000,000 pounds
The rough mass of the Earth is: 130,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 pounds

That means the Earth is about 1,083,000,000,000,000 times more massive than the weight of the 600-million humans combined.

At a jump, the speed of a human is relatively the same as gravity, 9.8m/s/s

This would mean that if these 600-million people jumped at the same time, at the same height, they would (very roughly) commit a force of about 23,520,000,000,000 pounds against the Earth. That's about 5,527,210,884,353 times smaller than the mass of the Earth.

It is also considerably much smaller than the weight, speed, and force of a tsunami.

And the earthquake that caused it.

And the mass of the displaced rock in the oceanic landslide that caused the tsunami.

Now, with all that taken into account, it can be calculated that the force of the recent tsunami could definately have effected the Earth in various ways, including the rotation. However, if you do these calculations, you'll find that the amount of time we've lost in a day due to this even is roughly 2.68 millianths of a second, which is utterly unmeasurable by our conscious minds and even by the environment.

The most significant movement in the Earth from the tsunami was that the poles shifted by almost an inch. This is relatively nothing compared to the number of movements the poles go through regularly. (FYI, when China finishes its major dam project, the reservoir will hold enough water to shift the poles back by 3/4's of an inch, and slow us another .06 millianths of a second.)

Now when you take into effect the incredibly small amount of change that the considerably more massive tsunami had on the Earth, you can see that 600-million people jumping will have close to no effect on the Earth. You'll be able to calculate an effect, but it's gonna take a hell of a lot more to "solve global warming" by just jumping.

Happy now? I hope so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom