Safe overclocking without extra cooling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

M2k4

In Runtime
I have a Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz and I'm intrested in overclocking it. But I dont want to buy any extra cooling. When I go into the BIOS it says CPU clock 200 (200x15=3000) So if I change it to 215 ill get 225 extra Mhz. But is it safe? Whats the maximum overclocking speed I can do without damaging the CPU and without extra cooling? The cooling Im using is the stock CPU fan and heatsink.
Thanks for the help.

It really depends on what the temperature is like at the moment. Get a program like Everest or Motherboard Monitor and see how hot your CPU is when it's under 100% load, maybe download Prime95 to run at full load. Also there's an overclocking guide on this forum.

You don't want to simply bump it from 200 to 215. You need to go in 3-5MHz increments. Also you will be overclocking your RAM as well. Which will require more voltage to the RAM, loosening timings, and testing that with memtest86+ and prime95 blend mode. OC'ing the CPU requires adding more voltage through it too and testing it with prime95 Large In-Place FFT's mode.

The sticky at the top of the forum provides the best basic guide to overclocking so you need to start there.

If your temperatures are full load 60C as it is right now I'd suggest not OC'ing

M2k4 said:
I have a Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz and I'm intrested in overclocking it. But I dont want to buy any extra cooling. When I go into the BIOS it says CPU clock 200 (200x15=3000) So if I change it to 215 ill get 225 extra Mhz. But is it safe? Whats the maximum overclocking speed I can do without damaging the CPU and without extra cooling? The cooling Im using is the stock CPU fan and heatsink.
Thanks for the help.
An extra fan would cost $4 and would prorobly double your cooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom