Temp Folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

uzi9mm

Fully Optimized
I got a problem with a PII 266mhz w/ 192mb ram.
I did a complete format on both of the drives, and a fresh install of Win2000. I installed 2000 on the smaller of the two drives (1.2gig & 1.6gig) After the install I only had 5mb left on the C: drive (the small one) . And the D: is completely empty. The problem I have is whenever I download something and save it to the D:, even though I want to install it to the D: it wants to use/access the temp folder in C: , but it cant use it because only 5mb remain in free space on the C:

Is there anyway to change the Windows Temp folder to the D: Without having to re-install again ??

Yes. The TEMP dir you use is defined in two locations. One is the system environment settings. it's a variable called %TEMP% and %TMP%. Change these to the D drive. instead of the C drive. Then you need to relocate the IE settings that control where your profile data is housed. You would also be wise to move your profile off to the other drive, so that you don't over load it by soring on your desktop. To do this, you need to log on with an alternate account, with admin access and move the docs and settings direectory, and then modify the keys in the registry...
HKLM\software\microsoft\windowsNT\ProfileList. The default value needs to be changed to point to the correct loaction and then change the system variables for ther users to point to the correct loactions. if you have questions let me know...

Try going to the system properties and changing the Environment Variables.

In XP, its:
Control Panel > System > Advanced (tab) > Environment Variables.

Not sure if its the same in Win2K

Looks like someone beat me to your reply! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom