C:\ Drive Full!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nibbles

Baseband Member
Hye people, latyely i have been trying to defragment my C:\ drive but I noticed I only have 1% space left! This is because i have portioned my drives and it seems theres too much stuff on it, you guys got any suggestions to move, delete, what to delete, or simply what to do with it. Please help this is a serioud problem.

well, whats on the drive that you can move? installed programs you cannot for obvious reasons, but files such as documents or images or whatever else may find a home on the c: can be moved to another partition.
for example, on my setup i have 2 hd's. one is 80gb that s split into 4 partitions, the other is 120gb, split into three. all i have on my main c: is 8gb set aside for the os, and whatever programs i install onto it. other than that, anything else i have on my pc resides on a partition, such as one for games, mp3's, files, my website etc ...

clear out temporary internet files, cookies and the like.
also, even though you paritioned your drive, you probably install most of your applications on C: right? if so, you may want to uninstall a few applications and reinstall them on your other partitions. an application doesn't need to be in the "Program Files" folder in order to function properly. just be careful about moving/deleting system files. if you havea question about certain files, you should reply in this thread so that we can take a look.
move files that are arbitrary to applications as well (images, music, etc)

Aside from removing files that you don't want or need here are 3 simple ways to reclaim space.

1) Reduce the size that Windows uses for the recycle bin.
2) Reduce the amount of space that Windows uses for restore points in system restore.
3) Reduce the amount of space that IE uses for temp files.

I also noticed in another post of yours that you were working with fraps and creating 150 MB vids or larger. I can almost guarantee you that those temp files are still residing on your drive after all was said and done. Clean out all your temp files using the tools provided for disc maintenance then defrag, reboot and defrag once again in safe mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom