PC and PowerPC software

Status
Not open for further replies.

emeraldice

Daemon Poster
There's a conceited person I know who's getting an apple laptop soon. And he's getting really annoying. I wanna benchmark against him. He's probably getting a 1.5 or a 1.7 gighertz ibook w/ 768 ram. I think I can take him w/ my 700 mhz duron w/ 320 ram (256 + 64) I bet I can take him cauze i'm that cool...
Does anyone know of benchmark software that works on both Apple computers and Windows? And while you're at it, give your opinion of who's gunna win.

P.S. I am getting a new computer soon, trust me. Hopefully a 3000+ AMD...If I lose I'll take him with my new computer.

You won't. People under-estimate apples because there clock speed is slower. That 1.7 ghz will be the same as an amd 3200 or 3400.

Really? That's new. That's a lot...and it doesn't make sense. Then the powerPC archtecture would be....like 10x better than the PC archteciture. Then why doesn't everyone use apples?

emeraldice said:
Really? That's new. That's a lot...and it doesn't make sense. Then the powerPC archtecture would be....like 10x better than the PC archteciture. Then why doesn't everyone use apples?

Because wintel won the marketing war. PowerPC and RISC architecture beats the crap out of x86 just like Unix beats the crap out of windows. You, and almost everyone else, bought the marketing hype so now you get to live with inferior technology. You will have one thing going on your friend though. You'll have more software.

gsbtech said:
You'll have more software.

HAHAHA
Software, right...Software, spyware, same diff. Right?
W/e...i was always bad at jokes.

So if i made him run virtural PC Would I even be close?

Ya, a Power PC CPU is about 2x as fast as a similarly clocked Intel CPU, and just slightly faster than a similarly clocked AMD 64.

But they cost a lot more and have much more limited software. Plus there is no (easy) linux for mac!

Oh one more thought. Is his 1.7 iBook really like a comparable 3400+ AMD or 3.4 intel? Cauze i could understand it if his iBook is comparable to like a 2.4 gig intel or a 2400+ AMD, but is the iBook really comparable to a intel with twice its gighertz?

gsbtech said:
Because wintel won the marketing war. PowerPC and RISC architecture beats the crap out of x86 just like Unix beats the crap out of windows. You, and almost everyone else, bought the marketing hype so now you get to live with inferior technology. You will have one thing going on your friend though. You'll have more software.

Not so. The Apple crew had a chance to regain the market, but they stuck with the "Can't upgrade a mac!" slogan.

Don't forget the "Software? We don't need no stinkin' software!" slogan.

PC has caught up with the mac. Except if you do desktop publishing, then you'll want a mackey, if you have moolah to pay for it.

Unix doesn't beat the crap out of Windows. Alot of people don't know how to use Windows, or they just like to mess around, and stuff stops workin'. Same for Unix, only this time just take out all the home users and many business users. Unix is more stable because its userbase is mostly techies.

I think Windows beats Linux and Unix, because Windows supports more hardware, has easier installations (tarballs are scaaaaaaary... and don't get me started on all those dependences!), and it's standardized. Yea, one of Linux's greatest strengths is in its many different flavors......... buuuuuuuut that's also one of its greatest weaknesses. Microsoft has the home market, and Microsoft has good business sense.

Oooh yea, you're probably gonna get creamed by that Mac. PC's can be on par with Apple hardware (sometimes even better), but you're gonna need higher-end goodies.

-x86

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom