Cannot partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherubimon_3.20

In Runtime
I have a computer (3 in total), one of them has Win95 on the HD, and I cant partition the drive. Why not?

Specs for that computer
166MHz Pentium MMX
40MB EDO RAM
4MB Video Card
1.20GB HD

what software are you using to partition this HD

and just wondering, why would you want to partition a drive that is so small?????

you are using a fat file system, the most you could set a partion too is 2 gig......

but technically I think you can still do it if you really wanted too....

are you using fdisk to format? what are the partitions you currently have on that hard disk, and what is the error message you receive when you try to partition it?

in fdisk are you having errors with deleting a partition or when making one?

if you are trying to put winXP on it you can just boot off the CD and use the partitioning program on it. If it is a winXP upgrade CD i am not sure how different that would be or if possible.

and given your hardware spec i am not sure if it would meet the requirements of winXP, or many of the other windows Operating systems.

beefy696969 said:
in the above post he said he was running win95;)

yes, but he didn't mention if he was installing a different operating system after he partitions it. he posted another topic at the same time as this saying he was doing a winXP upgrade. he could be trying to upgrade this to winXP as well.

all I can do is guess since he gave us very little details on his problem

im not using any software, except for microsoft's own, Drive Space or something like that, and i dont have any partitions.

drive space? i remember that on win98, it was a utility to compress files and folders like winzip. i think you have the wrong name

fdisk is what you should use to setup partitions on a FAT file system and win95/98 operating system. this is a how-to simulation article:

http://www.computerhope.com/sfdisk1.htm

first view your existing partitions to see what partitions are on the disk and delete/create partitions, then format and install operating system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom