Overclocking 90nm Amd 64's

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeckoEcho421

Daemon Poster
All cpus listed here all 90nm proccess, socket 939 and 64 bit compatible. First off, would I see much difference between a 3200 and 3500? How about overclocking slightly? My case has 2 120mm fans and 1 90mm so it has mucho cooling. I need detailed feedback with links. Thank you in advane :D

there would not be that much difference with the 3500 performing a little higher then the 3200

They have the same cores and architecture basically. At the same clock speed they should both perform identically

So, they are identical but the 3500 is actually factory oced? Is this the same for all the other 64 90nm 939?

No think of it like the 3200+ XP is a barton core at 2.2GHz right, the XP-Mobiles are also barton core, but range from 1.8GHz to 2GHz. The 3200+ isn't "OC'd" per se, but it's hardwired into the CPU for a higher Vcore and FSB.

Basically if they have the same core, you can get a cheaper version and as long as your mobo has good overclockability you can OC the chip yourself to the exact specs of the higher chip and possibly further. You might think 'well then will both chips cap off at the same?' not necessarily, because they may have made the higher based CPU have a 'sturdier' architecture, but I don't know enough about the actual chip manufacturering process to give you a definitive answer

All chips are built differently so it's impossible to give you an exact answer.

Overclocking is a lot of gambling and luck, often manufacturers will test cores to run at specific speeds at specific settings. A core in a 3200+ could very well be an underclocked 3500+ so to speak, it may just not have satisfied the AMD technicians to release it as a 3500+ so they simply slap a 3200+ label on it and ship it out.

Theroritically both chips would run identical at the same speeds as they both contain the same architechture, but as I've said, every single chip varies, that's why different chips OC better than others etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom