Graphics or Case Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeisalsocool

Daemon Poster
Im stuck in a rut. I get one thing for my birthday, and I got stuck between a Geforce 6600GT and an Antec P160 case.

If I get the case, I'll need to get the card later. If I do that, then I'll have to buy a new mobo and ram.

On the other hand if I get the card I'll still need to get a new mobo, ram and a case, this board only supports 4x agp and pc2100 ram.

I think when it comes down to it, I still need to get a new motherboard and ram.
Do you think for the time being that the 6600 will run on 4x or isn't it worth it yet?
Which would you do?
-Joe

Looks good, so I take it you'd go with the graphics card.
The hard drive is the last thing on my mind, I have music and what not backed up elsewhere.
I know I'd get better performance with pc3200 ram.

emeraldice said:
Graphics Card; and when you upgrade, keep the card and change everything else.

Problem here is that his next upgrade will be PCI express (or better). You can reuse a HD or case on your next upgrade - not necessarily the card.

However, you don't really need to upgrade yet except perhaps to get a faster frame rate for your games. Compare benchmarks between the new card running at 4x and your old video before spending the money.

You need to get the mobo and crap out of the way before you jump to things like a graphics card and RAM

but the crap is easier to get down the road, the graphics card will be a "freebe" so to speak.
The crap also includes that case, which is what im set on, and thats $130 at newegg

Meh, it's a waste. The 6600GT will just go down in price, and you're going to severely bottleneck it with PC2100 RAM and a 4x AGP....4x and 8x AGP doesn't make a huge difference in performance, but that RAM will surely be killing you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom