I can't build them fast enough...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you guys are recomending a 1.3ghz duron and an XP2200+?

Those are no longer made or pratical to use, think today, not yesterday.

Yeah, I also have a Duron and love its performance but you can't honestly expect anyone to rush out and buy an older Duron here and now.

Now, CPU wise, out of the past 4 processors I have owned, 3 have been AMD, and one has been Intel. Two years ago I would have easily told you an Athlon could run circles around any Pentium, but today they are both pretty equal. AMD seems to have a slight edge over Intel at the moment, but you will notice very little difference between a 3Ghz Intel Pentium 4 and an AMD Athlon 64 3000+.

Motherboards, Abit, MSI and DFI are all very good boards, they are a bit expensive at times, but they are the best of the batch, no question.

Memory, it's hard to say. Many people will tell you Corsair is the best, but I think a lot of people are just mislead. Corsair is good, I personally prefer OCZ though. I've never used G.Skill memory, but I have heard absolutely nothing negative about it, period.

Disk drives, meh, I don't have much preference, the only problem I have ever had is with a Liteon which refused to burn CD/DVD-R discs, but burned RWs flawlessly.

Western Digital is the best hard drive manufacturer on the market in my opinion, I have never had a Western Digital fail on me ever, and I occasionally use drives that are several years old without any problems.

No, i agree with DJ, seriously you dont built custom computers for people with Celerons and Semprons. Its not a high standard, its just those are out of its time. Why would you need a Sempron when theirs AMD64.. Thats just being cheap. Dont ripp people off with semprons or celerons man. You can find low-cost P4 and AMD64.

HAVOC2k5, i have some suggetions for you. Im sure you always ask, what will this computer be for. Then you configure it according to the request. For AMD systems, you really want to carry AMD64. Not only are they great cpus, they run 32bit and 64bit applications. So its a flexible processor. If its going to be a AMD system, then make it AMD64 socket 939. If its going to be a Intel system, make sure its LGA775.

For mobo's, you simply want to stick with the best. Just because the brand is the best, does not mean they are expensive. Only if you seek the best of the best, get what im saying? These are no hands down the best mobo company's.
Abit
DFI
MSI

You can find great mobo's that are flexible and dependable for all different prices. Dont even waste your time with ESC or Gigabyte. Theirs honestly no point to seek those brands, when the best brands carry all different mobo's, at all different prices.

Well you did ask what products we have found goo quality. An Athlon XP 2500+ is good for a mid range system because its cheap, and fairly fast.

CPU AMD 64 gotta love it and for the price its a bargen when you consider that you can get a 2800 64 for the same price or cheaper as a XP2800 and the 754 mobo's are now cheap

MOBO gigabytes makes good stable boards and if you don't wanna oc then their good. Abit have some good overclocking boards but some of their glitches in my oppinion bite a little too hard (thinking of the temp problems with the ABIT AV8 3rd eye). ASUS is good but too expensive.

HDD seagate is my recomendation beacause with a 5 year warrenty no probs are gonna get your customers annoyed that you will have to pay for.

RAM i like my geil ram corsair is good for impressing people cos its so well known, kingston is also known by a lot of people who arn;t that into tech. gskills is awsom but you will pay a lot (not as much as other top of the line ram but still a lot) and PQI is also good.

CD/DVD i second not lite on cos they have some major probs but lg samsung anything really should do the job

gl :)

yeah, i agree with most of that:

CPU : AMD (well priced, good performance)
HDD : Seagate (fast, quiet, good warrenty)
Motherboard: Asus (have worked great for me)
RAM: Im no expert on ram (go with what Sh0r_ty said)

Congrats on the business. My friends and I have been running a small side business like this. With fulltime college, putting a computer together is just a way to get away from all the studying. Most of our business goes by word of mouth. We do little advertising, but we put a guarentte behide our computer builds that we will help to the best of our ability, whenever and however. We dont charge for the tech support, we thought we would be nice, since there are four of us who do it.

thers nothing wrong with cheap if thats what the buyer wants. with computers i dont think there really is a basic setup because everyone wants to do something deifferent with their computer. gamers want performance cpus, ram and graphics cards and normally fast hard drives. someone just surfing the web would just want a decent comp and maybe a network card or built in lan for broadband surfing. people may want cd or dvd burners if thats their preference. if you really wanted to make a basic model of a computer to sell you should at least make a few different setups for different users and explain to the potential buyers the pluses and minuses of each and why you thought it was right for them. this would help you get them what they want and bring you repeat customers.

I have built or helped build quite a few systems for friends but in my experience, maxtor is horrible and has caused me quite a few head aches. I used to be an Asus fan but the A8V I just installed into my second system has had me pulling out my hair. Just a whole lot of problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom