Am I screwed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illidan

Beta member
Okies, I got a prefab destop because we were really in need and it was a reasonable price. Aw heck, what am I saying, we're cheap. Anyway, it's a compaq p.o.s. and the hard drive crashed yesterday. Goodnews badnews time.

Good news: I had all the important stuff (Music, games, all my downloads...oh yea, some pictures too ) on a seperate 200gb hd in 2 diff 100mb partitions. I put the damn system disk that I HAD TO MAKE in and it reformatted the user partition on the 80 gig hd. Now, it thinks that there's 1 partition, and since it's bigger than 137 it dosn't see it. I need to get the junk on that hd. So...am I screwed?

I'm trying to make sense of this.....

You have two harddrives
1 - 80gb... the one that crashed, windows was on this drive and not partitioned
2 - 200GB... fine and partitioned into 2 100gb logical drives

You reinstalled windows on the 80gb drive and now it doesn't see the two 100gb partitions on the 200gb drive... am I correct?

Edit: Also, which version of windows are you running?

clear up what you're saying...If it only sees one partition, try the external hard drive on someone else's comp. Then if someone else's comp sees it at least you know it's not the external hard drive's fault.

Apply SP2 to your XP isntallation and it will see all of the 200gb drive. XP had a 137gb limit. Don't touch the 200gb drive until you update your system disk. Then you'll be fine.

Ok, sorry bout all that
HP does this thing with it's hard drives, 2 partitions, 1 'user partition' and the other, a recovery partition. The user partition crashed and the recovery partition initiated the recovery consol which required the system dvd I had to make (didn't come with one ¬__¬)
and yes jinexile, I have 2 internal hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom