hard drive? dead or alive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spfd

Daemon Poster
anyways me and my friend were ghosting a image onto his 40 gb hard drive, after we ghosted it, it loaded up slowly and kinda froze i guess u can say, but yea

after resetting numous times, it still didnt load.

now it wont read the HD, anyone have any idea whats wrong with it? the jumpers were all set correctly.

whats a 100% way i can tell that its now a dead HD?

Attachments

• nov411uptime.gif
    5.7 KB · Views: 43
the way i would diagnose it is set the jumper to single first. if that jumper option isn't available set it to master with and no slave devices on that IDE ribbon cable. if it does not work try it on another computer. if that doesn't work i would assume its dead.

did that hard disk make any strange dying noises like clicking sounds? i used to think that hard disks died slowly, but from experience they usually die fairly quickly so i wouldn't associate norton ghost as the reason why it died.

First off, what kind of hard drive are we talking about? Some hard drives do not like being jumpered as Master or Slave on an IDE cable by themselves- IE. Western digital drives. Set it for cable select in this case, especially if on an ATA 100/133 cable.

The next question is, did you ghost a OS loaded on one drive from one system to another drive, then try to load it on a completely new system? because "Winders HATES that!" If this is the case, I suggest you install windows from scratch (this might be my assumption).

You can always go to the drive manufacturer's web site and download diagnostic software to test the drive. I'd make sure the dirve is in good working order before going any farther.

Best of luck!

What kind of drive is it? Most manufactuers have a diagnostic utility to test their drives like Maxtor, That's what I use. BTW does that Norton Ghost work worth a damn anyway? A friend gave me a copy & if it worked it seems like it could be pretty useful
sometimes.:confused:

Blueman said:
Some hard drives do not like being jumpered as Master or Slave on an IDE cable by themselves- IE. Western digital drives.

actually blueman i think i have heard of this problem before. to get them as a single/master drive by themselves on an IDE channel you have to use the single drive jumper setting by completely removing the jumpers.

ekÆsine said:
actually blueman i think i have heard of this problem before. to get them as a single/master drive by themselves on an IDE channel you have to use the single drive jumper setting by completely removing the jumpers.

Um not exactly. Actually for the last year or 2 they have been selling thier drives with a "cable sellect" setting on them. You can remove the jumper and most likely get it to work, however with most ATA 100/133 cables I would recommend keeping the jumper on the cable sellect for best results. Not all older WD drives have this setting and these you do need to remove the jumper, or turn it sideways.

ATA 100/133 cables have predefined positions on them for the drives. By plugging your drive into a certain part of the cable, when your drive is set for cable sellect, you are telling the computer that it is a "master" or "slave". ATA 33/66 cables are not predefined in this manner, therefor you might have better luck with the jumper off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom