Router Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

meepins

In Runtime
I am currently connected to D-link router to connect to the internet. We only have 1 computer connected to the router. Would my net speed be faster if i directly connect from the modem?

You probably wouldn't notice a difference. Just leave it, unless you have no use for the router at all.

Everyone has a use for router... the firewall alone far outweighs the usefulness of a few extra kbps

i've never really noticed a difference when i'm not behind my router. i wasn't behind it a couple of weeks ago and zone alarm finally started saying stuff was trying to access. so the router's definetally just that much better to stay behind

It would only make a difference if the other person connected to the same router as you was uploading something at or around the cap your isp gave you. I know this because it happens sometimes at my house when I'm uploading pictures and the internet on the other computer (parents) slows down like 90%.

Just to clarify....

Most of these DSL/cable routers use the same base chip sets/technology.

Most DSL connections here in the UK operate at about 600 kbps download, the local ethernet port of these units is usually 10/100 mbps, ive seen a very low end cheap D link router route/NAT an internet connection at over 5 mbps without issue.

So the answer to your question is no.... unless you have a real peice of shit router the slow down will be caused by your lack of internet bandwidth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom