Sata And Ide hardrive help

Status
Not open for further replies.
EIDE, PATA = 133mb/s transfer rate
SATA = 155mb/s transfer rate

so sata is better, sata also has a much smaller interface cable. SATA is pritty standard on new bourds. dont know how old yours is.

but neither of those 2 actually run at those fastest speeds, there actual transfer rates are a little lower.

theres nota huge data speed difference as u can see, but SATA is a little better. if your looking for the best price per gig wise HD though, PATA drives seem to have a lot of sales and are realy cheap for the price compaired to SATA somtimes. so if your a performance nut, ud wont SATA, if youra value for your buck nut, ud wont PATA.

And IF you can read what he just wrote, you are doing better than I am...

Basically, no, you do not have to change your motherboard. Your motherboard is capable of handling both SATA and IDE. SATA is faster, but can give you issues while installing your O/S esp if you don't have a floppy drive. And SATA hard drives are a tad more expensive than IDE's.

But I haven't noticed much difference in performance and I've run my operating system off both types. Maybe if I had a Raid array, it would make a big difference but a single SATA doesn't. As far as a single SATA, it acts as if it's just another hard drive in the system with the exception of adding the hardware during setup.

If you want to set it up, there are many threads on the site dealing with the subject. Just search on SATA and you will find several without having to start a new one. Liz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom