Windows 2003 server gives word doc problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

racybabeuk

Beta member
We unfortunately installed an IBM server (windows server 2003) 2 weeks ago and the guy who installed it is too busy to come back to sort out user access problems that we started to have when we tried to log in the next day! I am the only onsite IT support this non-profit org has and I am a volunteer - studying 1st year degree Computing and IT.

One of the problems we are having is we cannot close down a word template when logged in as a user without getting a whole string of "error" messages ending in Changes have been made to the global template. I can close the document by clicking File then Close however. So everyone is logging in as Administrator which is not good.

I solved the problem on 3 of the XP machines by putting a shared folder on the desktop (when logged in as administrator) and giving full control to all users. However, there are 3 more XP desktops where this doesn't work. When i right click the word doc - properties - I find it is classed as Read Only and the Security properties box shows a different path e.g.

Group or user names:

Administrators (computer name\administrators)
User name (username@domainname.local)
SYSTEM

In the PC where the word doc closes perfectly well the route path is

User name (domainname\username)

I have never had any training on server administration and our Central Telephone Helpdesk cannot help!!!

Any ideas please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom