Computer Detects wrong amount of Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

gohtar345

Beta member
I am building a new computer with a Gigabyte 8i915g Pro 3.8 ghz processor, 4 gigs of Ram, fully updated bios, 4 gigs of ram. Kingston value ram pc2700/DDR333.

The bios shows 3.1 gigs of ram and XP pro shows 3.00 gigs.

What gives?

apears like 1 of your dimms isnt working. looks like u may have to...

take all your ram out, boot the pc with just 1 stick of ram.. and do this over and over again in each dimm slot. if all the slots work... boot up with just 1 stick at a time, but try it with each of the 4 dimms. if thy all work... ask someone else lol

EDIT: your bourd does support 4gigs though right? cause it obviousely wouldnt work with a 3gig limit

Yeah forgot to mention,

I have tested every stick and every slot on the mobo, and they all work. Now i know because of current PC arcitecture the bios wont detect 4 gigs. but why would windows show the incorrect amount?

oh yeah and it does support 4 gigs, it is even detecting the stick because it is running at Dual Channel Interleaved, but it is not dectecting the amount.

well if your BIOS is fully updated id read the manual and see if there is a special setting or adjustment .

Which version of windows are you using I beleive Win2000 only has a 3gb limit without tweaking

Something else to consider is if the motherboard is allocating some of your system RAM as video RAM. This often happens on board with integrated video components (instead of having a separate vid. card). This can usually be changed in the BIOS undersomething called "shared" memory or something to that effect. My friend's Asus board has integrated video and he has his sharing 256MB or something for video. The bios usually detects the full amount of RAM but when Windows loads, it only displays the amount of RAM not being shared by the video.

Your computer supports a maximum of 4 GB of memory when you use four 1-GB DIMMs. Current operating systems, such as Windows XP, can only use a maximum of 4 GB of address space; however, the amount of memory available to the operating system is less than 4 GB. Certain components within the computer require address space in the 4-GB range. Any address space reserved for these components cannot be used by computer memory.

Wow 4GB of ram, thats nuts. There is no way that his video card is using a gig of ram. You should use CPU-Z and see which DIMM or chip is (or could be) giving you the problem.

its NOT a chip problem, its a confirmed issue with XP. The addresses in memory that the 4GB range (3 to 4) is used by other compenents. They're taking up those memory addresses. By that, I dont mean MEMORY, but the addresses that the higher memory takes is being used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom