Budget Gamer - Whats a good combo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CreditSolutions

In Runtime
Buildings a new internet/gaming rig, and I want to avoid dropping the extra $$$ on a s939 setup if possible, so what are some cheaper alternatives? The only thing I wont skimp out on is the GPU. Overclocking is not out of the question.

Socket 939 is only a couple of bucks more than socket 754, plus I'm not sure how many (if any) socket 754 boards support PCIe which would be a vital addition to any gamer.

Regardless though, I would recommend...

AMD Athlon 64 3200+
MSI nforce 4 socket 939
nVidia 6600GT
2x512MB G.Skill

The rest isn't too important, those are your basic components that will matter the most performance wise.

A 2800+ will be fine for all current games on the market, but keep in mind it's the oldest and slowest Athlon 64 availible and won't be able to keep up with newer games for very long.

Almost 200 dollars the 939 pin variety though :( Thanks for the input, though. I was hoping someone running an older sempron or XP could testify that its a good core for a gamer rig. :p

lol nice Gaara just named my exact rig that i just ordered, cept subsitute the MSI for a DFI lan party Ultra D Mobo.
How much are you looking to spend? The setup that Gaara stated plus a 80 gig SATA HD, Case, Cdrom/DVD rom, and floppy drive came out to right around 900 shipped to my door.

Edit: And I am running a AMD athlon XP 2400+ right now, they are still good for gaming now, but for the future definatly gonna want to have the 939 pin and PCI Xpress setup

$600 - 800 dollars. I dont play games that much, and im happy with medium graphics settings. Surely there is a compromise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom