Cheap Computer - Built to Experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Volcano will work. Don't forget your thermal paste.

The PSU in that case may work. It is a cheapo, but then, that's what you're doing. If you buy a different PSU, check this one:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-154-008&depa=0
It is only 200W, but that should handle your needs. It has very good reviews posted on NewEgg. The other good ones run about $50. I'd wait and see if the one in the case works.

The old MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR is a great beginers motherboard if you ask me. Not sure if there are any around anymore though since it is a rather old board... It does support AGP 8X and SATA Raid. The only problem i had with it was that the Northbridge heatsink fan failed and made a odd sound at startup, but it dont realy matter, there was only a 5F increase in temp when i took the fan off.

EDIT:

Crap i just looked it up, when i bought it i paid $120, now its down to around $60 and its still getting great reviews.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-130-475&depa=0

EDIT 2: Oops thats its cousin. but there almost the same, only differnce i noticed was the layout of everything...

x86angler said:
Power supply: the mobo says MicroATX, so I'm guessing I'll need a MicroATX PSU?

a microATX motherboard will also fit into a standard size ATX case so you can use a standard size ATX case or a microATX case. you need to get a power supply that will fit your case. if you want to get a full/ mid/ mini size ATX case, get a standard size ATX power supply, if you want a microATX case get a microATX power supply. the difference being that the standard size power supply is too big to fit a microATX case if that what you want to get.

if you are unsure list what case you want to use. there are some good bundled cases on newegg that come with a power supply for about $60 plus shipping. browse the case section and click on detailed view. sort that listing by votes to show you popular ones. click the links to read customer reviews. skim to see if the people had any problems with their bundled power supplies.

I think for standard size ATX cases there are three sizes full, mid, or mini and for microATX cases there are also three sizes too. the differences in the sizes are mostly the hight meaning the shorter ones have less bays to install more drives (cd-rom, hard disks, etc)

it will all work, but i highly recomend getting a higher-quality mobo and psu. those are 2 components you should not cheap out on. both of them can make or break a good oc and can keep your system from being stable. if possible, wait until the nf7-s is available and get that. then look for a cheap psu from antec/fortron/sparkle

jnev_89 said:
it will all work, but i highly recomend getting a higher-quality mobo and psu. those are 2 components you should not cheap out on. both of them can make or break a good oc and can keep your system from being stable. if possible, wait until the nf7-s is available and get that. then look for a cheap psu from antec/fortron/sparkle

Look what I just found:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-127-185&depa=1

Now that only leaves me with the problem of having no video card. I found a decent GeForce FX5200: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-150-041&depa=1 but my budget is oh so very tiny. Doing this would mean I would have to stick with the PSU that comes with the case.

Tough decision... yikes.

-x86

(p.s. I'm not trying to make an OCing beast. I'm not going for ultimate power here. I just want to OC it a little, the main thing is that I want to build my own PC.)

Just my experience on a friends comp but u can actually play games on the mx4000 he has the 128mb version but he plays hitman contracts cs dawn of war hl2 without having to lower all the settings to min. the settings are low but not the lowest.

mobo looks great nf7-s2 is a good ocing mobo by the looks of all the people who use them the psu will do a better job than mine probebly :) looks like a nice system for a tight budget

Heyyy, kudos for all the help guys. I've got some more stuff to look at and think about but ya'll really helped me out here.

:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom