how far away is windows 64 bit? and waht pecs are needed for HL2

Status
Not open for further replies.

efd753

In Runtime
i want to know cuase im buying a new computer and wanted to know if i need the 64 bit?

is there a anthlon xp with 512k L2?

is the 800 mhz fbs only on the 64 bit?

Plz help i cant decide.

My current set up is an HP
P 4 1.6
768 ddr ram 2100
ati readon 9200
40 GB segate HD

I want a new computer that will run HL2 at leat at 1280x1024 highst setting or at least 1024 higest setting.

nvidia or ati readon plz i know about the 9800 pro but what nvidia's counter part? which is better?

Will The cpu make a dif? I mean an athlon xp 3000 or 2800 vs an 64 3000 0r 2800 with an ati 9800 pro?

windows 64 is due out this year.....well...supposidly hahaha

it's ofcourse going to require a 64 bit processor to run, which now both amd and intel have.

i'm not sure about your 512 L2

the bus for the amd chips can go up to 2000mhz
the processor fsb is 200

if your going to want to play hl2 well

i suggest gettin' a 64 bit amd (3000+ at least) and at least a nvidia 6600GT graphics card with at least 512mb of pc 3200 ram....
how fast is your hd? if it's a 5600rpm is kinda iffy and i suggest a a 7200...if you want a crazy one, go with a sata hard drive.

the 64 bits will run a little better than the xp's for sure. the ati card will have some troubles tryign to get at the 1280x1024 mark if you use your AA and AF settings.

thxs for the reply i'll check on that nvidia card. I ws thinkign of going for a cheap cpu a anthlo xp so i can have money for the ati readean.

what about Intel?

from when i was pricin' cpu's, intel was higher priced...it could of had changed.
check www.newegg.com and run through there for prices and such. they've got a great selection of pretty much everything.

well, the saying is amd for gaming, intel for everything else...and if you want to game, amd's the way to go these days....but you can game on intel's if you want...it's not overly serious

You will need a 64 bit CPU unlike an athlon XP

HL2 personally I recomend a 3.2GHZ Intel or a AMD 3000+ and above (3200+ for barton core)
512 Meg PC3200 Ram MINIMUM
Nvidia 5700 or ATI 9600 Pro MINIMUM

XP is suppose to be out this year? I kept hearing 1 1/2-2 years off. Well at any rate my guess is that xp 64 is gonna be like any of the major ms advancements, an absolute train wreak at first, and smooths out later on. I'm probably gonna wait till the release a service pack or 2, before I buy into it.

I almost gurantee you that Windows Longhorn will be released in both 64 and 32 bit processing. Once a 64 bit Longhorn is released, I am quite certain most applications will begin to migrate over the 64 bit technology. It's my guess that this will happen in the next two years.

efd753,

You definately want to go with a AMD 64. Be sure to get a socket 939, as AMD has stated that they are definately going to bring out dual core CPUs on the 939 line.

As was stated above, a 3000+ or 3200+ would be a good base. Some like to tell everyone to buy the biggest and best, but not all can afford it. A 3200+ AMD 64 is roughly equal to a Pentium 3.4GHz (well, superior to)...that's what the numbers mean.

512MB or RAM will work fine, 1 gig will work better.

Just make sure that you get a graphics card that matches your motherboards slot, be it AGP or PCIe. The 6600GT is a very sweet card, and has a good price. You can go with less if your finances won't allow it, but it is a good target to aim for.

If you are going to use the computer you build for a long time, you definately want to go with SATA. The price difference is not that great.

Plan for cooling as you build. A good CPU heatsink and fan is a must (the stock ones are passable, but barely). Don't skimp on case fans, either. A cool computer is a better running computer.

Well, SATA is not expensive. Its around 10$ more, then a IDE. If your builting a system, you need SATA. Hard Drives are so big rite now, witch they only get bigger. So you really want to get Serial SATA. If your getting a 939 mobo, witch i suggest doing. Your of course going to have dual channel memory. So make sure you either get 2x 256mb or 2x 512mb. In other terms, you need to get 2 sticks of RAM, witch are the same brand and type.

Of course you dont NEED 2 sticks of RAM. But it would really bottleneck your system without it. Witch in return will have a negitive effect on performance.
AMD64 do not have FSB, they have HTT. Front-Side-Bus Efd753, is built in mobo's. On the more desirable Intels, they have 1024mhz FSB. Of course thats the FSB operating frequencey. In the long run, FSB is not very smart. AMD64 on the other hand, have the Unit FSB built into the chip. This means that the processor no longer has to deal with the mobo's FSB. But it deals with itself. Witch makes them run faster. So the term FSB, is in history for AMD64. The unit now is HTT.

When people say AMD are only good for Gaming, while Intel is better for everything else. This is completely wrong, i couldent elucidate it more. Intel is Ideal for Encoding and 3D Rendering. While AMD is ideal for Gaming. All the other benchmarks, both AMD and Intel stride. So dont get the impression that Intel is over all better, while AMD has one and only one use.

Now if you want to do serious gaming, such as games like HL2 or Doom 3. Or any popular RTS, your going to need a good video card. People with 6800 GT have problems playing HL2 and Doom 3 on full specs. So you have to take in mind, how a lower-profile video card would perform. For that type of gaming, i suggest the eVGA 6600 GT, or anything better. I dont suggest the 9800, the eVGA 6600 GT is around the same price, and is alot better.

If you want to OC, then you have to put more thought in what case you want. Of course some cases are easier to put cooling systems in rather its a liquid cooling system or air. OC is a really good idea, you can make your system run alot faster.

thxs for the reply i guess i have to decide between 3000 or 3200 what you guys think of monarchcomputer good bad i like their far cry HL2 promotion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom