Short, random freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbernie41

In Runtime
My Compaq that is a litle over 4 years old is randomly starting to freeze often for about 10-15 seconds. This computer is used just by my parents for email and a little bit of web browsing so it isnt put under any stress at all. Also, one of the CD drives will not open. Are these freezes being caused by a dying power supply?

Im not really sure what is causing these freezes but hopefully you people can diagnose the symtoms and let me know whats going on. Thanks.

check for spyware like stated above. do an online virus scan, too if you have no virus software... just google trendmicro housecall

I have Spy Sweeper by Webroot. Has anyone heard of it? I havent installed it yet so I guess I will give it a try.

You could test your power supply idea by finding a different psu to test it with. It sounds like a weird problem with you cd drive and all.

Do a virus and spyware scan. That should be your first step when having a problem.

What about the CD-ROM? Does a CD-ROM icon show up under My Computer? If so, and the CD-ROM drive is damaged or mis-connected, Windows might be attempting to glace at the status of the drive and then gets confused because it isn't working properly.

If you know enough about the insides of a computer, I'd recommend trying to run the computer without the CD-ROM connected to the IDE for a while (make sure any other drives using the same cable are configured as necessary). If the computer works without any problems once the CD-ROM's been disconnected, that's the problem.

Spyware or a virus is, of course, a possibility, so I'm not ruling that one out either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom