Why cant I play HL2 on higher settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of the XP-M 2600+, I've heard of people clocking it to 2.4-2.6 GHz. Does anyone have a link to some benchmarks that show how that compares to a regular XP or a Pentium 4?

There's a pic of my 2400+ XP-M OC'd to 2.7GHz

OCSS3.jpg

Re: Re: Why cant I play HL2 on higher settings?

ShoobieRat said:
BINGO!!! Captain, we've got a log of a card here.

You dont get it, a 9800 Pro with a decent system should be able to play the game much better.

I had a PC with 2(gig) PC3200 RAM, RADEON 9800Pro, P4 3.4gig and 2(74 raptors @ 10000rpms in RAID 0) I had many problems running HL2.

I had the 9800 pro running a 19 inch CRT monitor and had a S-Cable connected to a 27 inch TV. (Then some recommend to me to take the card off of a dual display setting and try running HL2.) So i did. And wouldn't you know it... HL2 ran beautifully... 9800pro is a nice card, but if with the new technology in gaming today, the highest end card is what you need.

Valve and ID build their games on bleed edge technology, If you have had your card before the game came out, and even if you bought it the same day you're not going to be able to play with the highest settings possible without some fancy tweaking.

Ace No-Money said:
Man I just bought a radeon 9800pro and 1GB of ram and i still cant play HL2 on higher settings!

I get lag during explosions and extra audio sounds like when people talk in the game. This is with medium settings, and no AA/AF. Urrrr this makes me mad!

What do i upgrade now? you should be fine, just update...

what drivers are you using right now?

i found the Cat 4.12 drivers ran the best for HL2.

i have a 9800pro 128/256 w/ 1GB pc3200 as well.

and for everyone who is implying that the 9800pro's are obsolete now.....you guys need to lay off...........i'm sure the 6800GT's run fabulously, i mean for that price it'd better! but come on, i can run HL2 on my old G4Ti4200 128mb card.

they've geared the game to be able to play on "normal" systems too.

what kind of mobo do you have? have you installed the latest drivers for your mobo too?

got rid of all that nasty spyware/adware in your system yet?

Actully, I have a DELL! computer with a 9800 on it with 1 gig and 80 gb of ram. I play HL2 with 4X AA and 8X AF and it runs somewhat fine. Its the water stuff that drops the FPS for me. Like if i look at the water and a barrel exploding it would lag, but if i look at just a plain barrel explosion it would be fine. the graphics card isnt even over clocked.

Ace No-Money said:

What do i upgrade now?

- Thanks!

ACEÂ’s System
Athlon XP 2500+ w/Tt Silentboost
ABIT NF7-S v2.0
PQI Dual Chl. 2x 512mb DDR400
ATI Radeon 9800 PRO <128mb/256bit>
Western Digital 80GB - 2mb Cache
550W Lead Power PSU
ULTRA Dragon ATX Tower (Glossy-Black)
Samsung CD-RW
Logitech Z-3 2.1
IBM 17”
Windows 98SE
3DMARK01 - 16632
3DMARK03 - 5400
Death to Celerons!

um....excuse me? you're running this system on Windows 98SE?!

that may be your problem....sorry about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom