Overclocking Mobile XPs

Status
Not open for further replies.

XanRonin

Solid State Member
I am considering getting a ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe and overclocking a Mobile XP processor. One I am not sure whether or not to buy the M-XP 2600+ or the M-XP 3000+. I am also not sure if the motherboard will work right because the motherboard is rated at 400MHz FSB and the settings for the M-XP's are 266Mhz. If any one has any suggestions as to which I should use please post. Thank you.

very good choice of cpu the mobile xps can o/c very very far. forgot about the 266 ul be running this over 400 easily. i dont know if it worth buying the 3000 cos ive seen no1 with it but i know Nubius has the 2400 mobile and has had his at 2.7gig actual speed.

I think the 45w 2600+ XP-M's were able to hit the same clock speed as me but at lower voltages, although I don't think anyone here has had 2.7GHz completely stable besides me, but that may have been because the only other main mobile OC'er I know doesn't have the strongest PSU for it.

I would stick with 2400-2600 XP-Ms

and dont get an ASUS motherboard, ASUS is crap IMO. Tech support is worse. ABit and DFI are the two best OC'ing boards out there.

ABit NF7-S v2

DFI Lanparty

XanRonin said:
Out of those two, which are better for overclocking and gaming?

I'd say Abit. MY friend has a DFI LanParty B (or w/e its called) and he had lots of problems before he got it overclocked. He had it fry his BIOS, nuke his HDD (had to reformat alot of times), and he just left it at 2.3GHz cuz he didn't want to mess with it anymore. I jsut think hes lazy...but maybe if he got the Abit he'd still be trying to beat me lol.

I'd say for overclocking the 2400+ and the 2600+ are great overclockers. I think IQYHA stepping has got the most success overall, but others think the one that starts with an "A" is better (AQYHA?).

No one i know has the 3000+ Mobile, i thought it was only for DTR Notebooks and didn't work in desktop mobo's. But you'd be risking it buying one if you don't have proof it's a good overclocker from at least a few sources.

Only thing i suggest really is HURRY and buy one lol. They are getting harder to find pretty fast (for me anyways)...i'm gonna have to go Intel for my GF if her AXP dies soon. Because i certainly can't afford buying 2 A64's, and i don't want to build another AXP if i can't find replacement parts for it in a year or so.

There's plenty of the 2400-2600+ XP-M's at newegg left :) For a while their prices really skyrocketed, but I think they came back down a little.

DFI has higher NB and Dimm voltage, and generally a lot more RAM timing options, but the NF7-S v2 is definitely good. I've had no complaints with it.......except for the fact on high FSB games will crash :p

Since my FX 5700 is crapping out, I'm hopin on some weird fluke that when/if I get that 6600GT I can put my FSB back up at 235-240 and it won't crash. Maybe that crap card just didn't want anything to do with it or somethin I don't know

I just discovered that my problem might not be my PSU:( I manually checked PSU rails with multi-meter and they are RIGHT on (12.1v) while my BIOS tells me they are like 11.4-11.92v. Something is definetly fishy here...multi-meter says they are right on even at 2.6GHz (running right now at that speed anyways)

Dang that sucks....hmmm...then that leads to the motherboard itself I guess....

Bad readings perhaps?....well no I guess it wouldn't be just that since it's actually effecting your CPU OC too.....no clue =/

Nubius said:
Dang that sucks....hmmm...then that leads to the motherboard itself I guess....

Bad readings perhaps?....well no I guess it wouldn't be just that since it's actually effecting your CPU OC too.....no clue =/

lol exactly. i tried BOTH PSU's and they seem to be VERY off from the multi-meter. i'm gonna try them both on my GF's Epox mobo and see if they read ok. if they do then my mobo is shot ro something...and thats poopy! at the price though i could easily pick up another one...but thats lieke $70 away from a new computer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom