Want one partition only?

Status
Not open for further replies.
TheMajor said:
Partition Magic is very user friendly, especially version 8

Very true. I have it, and it works wonders. Although, if you do decide to merge your partitions, it may take a little depending on your HD's cache size. The higher the cache, the faster it goes.

The main problem- my p.c. not recognising an ext. hdd has developed further. I received a suggestion on another forum regarding firing it up whilst in safe mode. The following copied text gives the result. Do any of you guys recognise the description of events. Now that the drive has instantly been recognised on last boot up, have you any suggestions as to how I might keep it there. My latest post on the forum was:- "Bris. Booted into safe mode. Powered up ext. hhd.. Immediately visible in Device Manager (under Disks and USB Mass Storage Device). Not visible in Disk Management and My Computer. Disks visible everywhere were Disk 0 (partitioned C: and E: (logical drive)) and Disk 1 (H: which is the card reader in an HP all-in-one printer etc. etc.). Went into Event Viewer>System Log- lot's of errors and warnings which were disk related (numbered 7, 11, 51). Rebooted to a standard start to obtain the internet connection to check out the error codes, and the ext. hdd, which had been left powered up between the safe mode session and reboot, was seen everywhere and instantly. The read/write light is off which is how it used to be on first install when it worked fine. It reads- Disk Management:- Disk 1 Basic 149.05GB NTFS On-line "LACIE" (G:) Healthy, Device Manager:- WDC WD1600JB-00GVA0 USB Device (inc. an entry under USB Mass Storage Device) and in My Computer:- LACIE (G:). It would be very pleasing if this occurred on every reboot! From what I've described above, has anyone any ideas as to what the problem is/was. Oh, and thanks again Bris for resurrecting the thread." Any help most welcome.

Please forgive the smilies, they've appeared due to coincidentally typed characters- the other forum doesn't support smilies.

No. I've not. Thanks EricB for the suggestion. I'll look at that. I did think that this application was only for Maxtor hdds though. Mine is a Western Digital Caviar SE 120GB. Am I correct in that assumption?

putting the virtual memory on another partion helps too, as it can be by itself and not be bothered when you are doing other things on the C drive
why would that help at all if not do anything? cause.. windows alocates whatever amount of paging files u specify to an unmovable designated area, so it doesnt even get fragmented, much less interfear with anything.

to check and see if for some reason large drives arnt enabled in windows do whats said here...

http://www.48bitlba.com/enablebiglba.htm

EDIT: i just noticed the drive in questino is only 120gb's, so that wouldnt apply.

if it works all the time in safe mode though, u may wont to hit ctl+alt+del, and see what proccess's it left out, then when u restart in normal mode, u can compair the proccess list and narrow it down to a application that may be causing the conflict.

definitions of proccess list....

http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

dogbreath said:
No. I've not. Thanks EricB for the suggestion. I'll look at that. I did think that this application was only for Maxtor hdds though. Mine is a Western Digital Caviar SE 120GB. Am I correct in that assumption?

didn't you say you had a 160 gig?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom