Proper grounding techniques?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cold123

Baseband Member
What exactly are some proper/effective ways to ground yourself, besides wearing a wrist strap which i dont have :confused: .

b4 you touch computer hardware you touch something that is metal for exp: your computer case or your table leg.

phosho510 said:
b4 you touch computer hardware you touch something that is metal for exp: your computer case or your table leg.

??? Table Leg ???

You touch any metal the is grounded to earth. like a water pipe or any metal object the is plugged into a true 3 prong outlet (a lot of times the ground isn't hooked up internally. that is illegal by the way. but a lot of electrician's of the 1960's obvious didn't care)

I've ripped off that 3rd grounding plug before because of not having a socket that had 3 prongs.

Nubius said:
I've ripped off that 3rd grounding plug before because of not having a socket that had 3 prongs.

Bad nubious, bad. Grounding is their for a reason, so someone can mix it up with the live wire and you can zap yourself.

This is why I am now leary to touch anything that's "grounded"

Nubius said:
You use a plate-eye socket adapter. It's a two-prong plug with a little bent out third peice that has a hole in it. You remove the center screw from the outlet plate and screw the adapter to the outlet plate with the screw you removed. (This isn't really safe, but it could be worse...)

Anyway, here's some good grounding tips:

1. Just touch the case (or case frame if you have one of 'those' plastic cases).

2. Leave the plug in the wall if it's a circuit-breaker outlet, and just break the circuit with the little button on the outlet (not powerstrip).

3. Take the plug out of the wall and stick it in your pants (just don't walk off).

If you're not sure if it worked, rub your feet on the carpet a few dozen times, then touch the case. If you see lightning, you know the transfer of bad is working. :)

EricB was talking about the ground on the outlet not being wired, not the ground on a device.

2. Leave the plug in the wall if it's a circuit-breaker outlet, and just break the circuit with the little button on the outlet (not powerstrip).

why would that do anything?

I think he's talking about cutting the supply of power but still have the ground via the plug. Also, make sure that when you touch the component that you are still touching a metal surface to 'equalize' (for lack of a better word) any electrical static. Once you've got a hand on the part, then go ahead and remove your hand from the metal surface.

All electricl plugs have power and neutral. the metel box that they are housed in of older houses should be grounded (newer house have platic boxes, but with 3 wire ran, it's same difference). if you buy the adapter and screw the tab on the middle of the box, you have an effective ground. expect in some cases.

if the 1960's a lot of electrician's cut corners for some reason or another and the boxes aren't grounded or they only gounded the kitchen and bathroom boxes, because those obviously need protection. those houses are more susceptible to fires too as they don't have that extra level of protection.

Stray Electric will short to ground faster causing your breaker to pop plus your electric is more stable. If your outlet isn't grounded a fire will ensue before the breaker pops. static will also short to ground too and leave you.

you should buy a circuit tester (1-2 dollars) if your home might fall in the above category.

I agree with EricB, a circuit-tester plug is an invaluable tool for all home/dorm dwellers. When I got my new apartment, the first thing I did was check the lights and use the circuit-plug in every socket.

As for the outlet adapters and non-grounded sockets, all you really need is just a path of least resistance. With the power turned off (like in a circuit-breaker outlet) you're just providing a path to somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom