the specified path does not exist

Status
Not open for further replies.

brodee

Solid State Member
I am unable to get into almost everything, most programs will not
startup and the message box that appears usually says "the specified path does not exist". I can however navigate to the directory the file is pointing to and I can see the file is present. Even while in a program directory when I double click on the programs .exe file I still get this message "the specified path does not exist"

Any ideas as to why this could happen and more importantly how do I fix it?

You running XP? Have you tried system restore or last known good configuration? Sounds to me like the directories to the path of your programs were deleted some how.

Yes, I did try to restore the last known good configuration and it did no good. I also went back and restored a registry entry from yesterday that was well before this problem manifested but same deal. I get the same type of message for most things, I tried to run the command line for 'msconfig' and the message is can't find path.....

I went into safe mode and created a new user, rebooted and as this new user I can access everything but I don't want to have to redo all my mailboxes and program short cuts. There must be a simple solution to this but I can't think of it!!!!

Help and suggestions most welcome!

The problem is with all executable files, not just ie related. I am able to access ie without a problem. I just downloaded hijackthis to the desktop as suggested by someone in another forum and when I tried to run the .exe I got the same message.

this is the full message,
C:\Documents and Settings\Momma\Desktop\HijackThis.exe The specified path does not exist Check the path, and then try again

(when I tried hijackthis)

Try this:

Microsoft Windows XP Professional and Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

a. Right-click My Computer, and then click Open.
b. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the File Types tab.
c. In the Registered file types list, click Registration Entries, and then click Change.
d. In the Programs list, click Registry Editor, and then click OK.

Note If Registry Editor does not appear in the Programs list, follow these steps:1. Click Browse, and then click My Computer in the Look in list.
2. Double-click Local Disk (C:), and then double-click WINDOWS.
3. Click regedit.exe, and then click Open.
4. Click OK, and then click Close.

3. Create a .reg file that is named Repair.reg to repair the registry. To do this, follow these steps:a. Right-click an empty area on the desktop, point to New, and then click Text Document.
b. Press ENTER.
c. Double-click New Text Document.txt, and then paste the following in the document:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System] "DisableRegistryTools"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\exefile\shell\open\command] @="\"%1\" %*"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\batfile\shell\open\command] @="\"%1\" %*"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\comfile\shell\open\command] @="\"%1\" %*"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\piffile\shell\open\command] @="\"%1\" %*"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\scrfile\shell\open\command] @="\"%1\" %*"

d. On the File menu, click Save As.
e. In the Save in list, click Desktop.
f. In the File name box, type Repair.reg.
g. In the Save as type list, click All Files.
h. Click Save.
i. Double-click Repair.reg on the desktop, click Yes, and then click OK.

4. Update the virus definitions of the antivirus software that is installed on your computer. To do this, scan your computer with the antivirus software, and then follow the instructions for removing this worm.
5. Use Task Manager to remove any file that the Swen worm created to run as a background system process. To do this, follow these steps:a. Right-click the taskbar, and then click Task Manager.
b. Click the Processes tab.
c. Click the Image Name column header to alphabetically sort the processes.
d. Scroll through the list of processes, and look for any randomly-named values that the worm created, such as "ZNFUL."
e. If you locate a randomly-named value, click it, and then click End Process. In the Task Manager Warning dialog box, click Yes.
f. Exit Task Manager.

6. Restart your computer after you remove the worm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom